Apparently today is a day off. It wasn't supposed to be. Typically on Wednesday's, I go to the gym for Body Step and Body Pump but I just feel like I needed a day of rest. If there is one thing I've learned over the past couple years of marathon training it's listen to your body. It will tell you when it's time to take a breather.
I think I'm slow to the game on this, but have you heard of CrossFit? I don't know anyone who does it (I hear it's quite the hardcore bunch) but I've seen competitions on ESPN. It's a bit more than I think I'd be into but this Sunday, Potomac River Running and New Balance are holding a free one hour CrossFit workout in Reston. My workout buddy and I decided we had to go and try it out! I'm pretty excited to see what it's all about. I can't imagine what they will have us do for an hour. I'm assuming they will have a big turnout. I hope it doesn't kill me because I have to do my long run on Monday this week. Should make an interesting blog post if nothing else!
As I mentioned yesterday, I was SO stinking excited that I got a comment from THE Chef AJ that I had to make something yummy out of her new book, Unprocessed. I decided to try the Fruity Quinoa for breakfast this morning. Super simple to throw together (a big plus for me when it comes to breakfast!)...I mixed a half a cup of quinoa with a cup of orange juice, cinnamon and vanilla and brought it to a boil.
Once it cooked down, I took it off the heat and added raisins.
SO good! I have to admit that I was a bit leery of this one only because I've only ever used quinoa in savory recipes. Salads, main dishes with squash, etc. It was hard for me to imagine eating it for breakfast. Quinoa is such a fantastic thing to cook with because it really takes on the flavors of whatever you put with it so this breakfast was sweet, warm, all around yummy. I'm not a big fan of oatmeal because it leaves me feeling overly full, no matter how little I eat, and bloated but I miss having hot cereal on cold, rainy mornings. This fit the bill perfectly. I think next time I may add apples to it. Yum!
No comments:
Post a Comment