Pages

5.03.2011

Food Issues Continue

It has now been close to two months since I self-diagnosed myself with gluten intolerance.  So many stomach issues (that need no details here) without a known cause and a refusal to accept, "It's probably just IBS" from my doctor led me down the Google/WebMD path and, just like when I was pregnant, wasn't a good thing.  I decided I was dying.  Then I decided I had some rare intestinal disease.  I finally settled on 'not-quite-celiac-but-an-intolerance-for-sure' diagnosis.  Yeah.  Never one to fully commit to anything other than a marathon plan even gives herself a half-assed diagnosis.

Since going gluten free, I have noticed a ton of positive changes.  My skin cleared up completely (yes, in addition to having a cranky stomach and poop issues, I also suffer from adult acne....I'm so freaking hot), I felt lighter....not that I lost weight, but that I didn't feel so puffy.  I always had puffy eyes and was bloated and just felt blah.  And if one more person told me I looked tired....I digress.  I also had a lot more energy.  Gone were the days of passing out at 8:30 and struggling to get out of bed at 7:00 to get my kids to school.  I assumed that it was the gluten.  "I'm cured!", I thought happily.  The problem was that other than a slight improvement, the main problem - my stomach - was still/is still happening. 

When we got to Boston, I caved the evening of the race and joined in on celebratory beers (before, I would only have GF beer), batter dipped apps and sliders.  Then Tuesday night, on the way home from the airport, we stopped at my favorite neighborhood restaurant for my absolute favorite pizza - their pizza margarita that I had denied myself for so long.  And I ate that entire pie. 
Boston Celebration Pizza - Blurry Due to Husband Laughing Ass Off.

The results?  Nothing.  Nothing changed.  Yes, I still had to spend too much time at home in the morning before going anywhere but that had been the case even during my GF trial.  So now what?  I feel like I should soldier on with a gluten free lifestyle to an extent because I did feel a lot better in a lot of ways.  But I am also questioning it because the problem I want, I need, to go away, is still present.  Case in point, I haven't had gluten since the pizza night but still almost missed my run this morning because I just couldn't leave the house.

As of right now, I am thinking that I'll avoid gluten but I wont be so militant about it.  I have gotten used to living without - found a bread and pizza crust I love! - but if we happen to be at someones house for dinner and something with gluten is on the menu, I wont deny myself.  Maybe this is a horrible idea, I have no idea.  At this point, I'm at a total loss.

In other news, I ran again today!  I know....so what?  Well, I was able to do 5 miles and I have to say, I was a wee bit nervous after yesterday's horrible 4.  Felt much better today although still not quite like the old me.  I better get my mojo back, and fast.  This is just ugly!  After my run, I took a yoga class and loved every stretchy minute of it!  I think I've finally decided that I prefer yoga over pilates.  Now if I could only fit two yoga classes in my week instead of just one!

3 comments:

Gn said...

I am a gluten-intolerant runner as well. Not quite Celiac but definitely intolerant. Similar things happened for me when I finally cut the gluten-- skin clearing, a happier stomach, a rush of more energy, and less puffiness. My mom is a nutritionist and explained the ability to eat gluten products after cutting them out for a while. Your body reacts to the build up of the gluten not the single instance. The gluten symptoms will come back as you continue to eat gluten. Just a thought!

Gn said...

One more thing, in addition to being gluten- intolerant, I am also corn and oat- intolerant. Your remaining symptoms may be from another food in addition to gluten.

renae said...

Thank you so much for your comment. And it came at the perfect time too. Since that post, I kept adding gluten containing foods here and there - beer, hamburger buns, chips, I could go on, basically, I've been bad. Anyway, the day before your comment, I suddenly hit the wall. Realized how crappy I felt. The puffy eyes were back, skin issues, etc.
The reaction to build up of gluten rather than a single instance totally makes sense and is obviously what was/is happening to me. Time to refocus!