After my last post, I slowly slipped back into eating more and more gluten. First it was just a turkey burger on a white flour hamburger bun at a lunch spot after my son's baseball game - honestly, if I have one more salad at lunch when eating out, I'll punch someone - which slowly became, how about in addition to that white hamburger bun that the burger was on, I also eat the side of chips and I'll drink these two beers but I'll be gluten free the rest of the day! Swear! Then it's just a few bites of the kids pasta, and maybe a milano cookie because they are so damn good and everyone but me is having them after dinner. And before you know it, I was back to feeling tired 24/7, my skin was breaking out, I felt puffy and not just bloated but major eye puff and that overwhelming feeling of blah. It really hit me this weekend that I need to get back on the horse. Either I'm going to take this gluten free lifestyle seriously or I'm not.
I had a great comment to my last post (thanks again Torrey!!) telling me something that in the back of my mind I knew but chose to ignore - it's the build up of gluten. Just because I don't feel an immediate reaction after eating it (ie: that post marathon pizza) doesn't mean it isn't having an effect on my body. So. After eating a biscuit at my mother-in-law's on Mother's Day (they were homemade! And I already felt like crap, what's one more thing, right?) I got back to business. Quit the gluten for real. Again, I'm not one to quiz a waiter at a restaurant on my meal but that's only because I don't believe I have Celiac's Disease. But, I am one to make a conscious effort to avoid gluten when I'm not being stubborn. Time to stop being stubborn.
On Mother's Day, we went to a new Italian spot which was probably not too smart seeing as I was trying to climb back on the wagon, but this place has gluten free pasta! And I didn't eat the bread even though my husband and boys made sure to tell me just how good it was....ugh. But it was fine. I had my GF pasta with shrimp and spinach and it was tasty and I'm happy I didn't fall for that bread basket.
| This is what it looks like when trying to kick gluten. |
Hopefully I'll get my energy back soon because my running has been pathetic. I went out today for an hour and lasted for 5 1/2 miles. That's it. 5.5 stinking, slow, pathetic miles. But tomorrow is a new day! A new gluten free day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment