My "cold" just wasn't getting any better so I hauled my ass out of bed and went to see the doctor today. I assumed I caught strep from my boys. I had attempted to make up my last missed long run from Sunday yesterday but after a mile, I knew it wasn't going to happen. My 10 mile long run turned into 5.5 miles and I honestly have no idea how I even got that much done.
Back to today. When the nurse came in, she asked if I thought I had strep which I said, "No, I don't think, I know so can I please have some antibiotics because I have a marathon to run on Monday." She tested me for strep then did a flu swab "just in case". Ten minutes later, the doctor walked in with a mask on and another mask in his hand. Not a good sign. "You don't have strep." he said. "But?" I asked. "You have the flu. I'm sorry." So I decided to argue with him. "No. I can't have the flu. I have to run a marathon on Monday. The BOSTON MARATHON!!!" Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got all hysterical on him. He just shook his head and said, "I know. I'm sorry but I think you are going to be doing more walking then running in Boston."
Even though it's been more than 48 hours since I started getting temps (that fun started Saturday night), he gave me a prescription for Tamiflu anyway. He also gave me a prescription for a Z-Pack because, and these are his words, "You'll most likely develop either strep or bronchitis along with this because you are basically like an open wound to all kinds of bacteria." So. Not. Helping. How I didn't start crying right there in his office is beyond me. I do recall saying, "This can't be happening." more than once.
Obviously none of my last minute schedule runs are going to happen this week. My plan is to take the tamiflu, drink as many fluids as I can and stay in bed to try and reserve as much non-existent energy as I possibly can. Hopefully by Monday, I'll not only feel better but I'll have enough energy to at least not walk the entire stinking marathon. My 4 hour goal just changed to a 4:30.
No comments:
Post a Comment