Yesterday, my running group headed over to my hood for our Sunday run. The roads out where we normally go long are still covered with ice and snow as is the W&OD where we could also run long, but flat. My neighborhood has a ton of long hills and it's all clear so it was an easy decision. Usually, I have to drive about 15 minutes to meet the group so being able to run 1 mile to the middle school we chose as our meeting spot was pretty great!
It was cold but the sun was out so that really helped. The bigger issue was the wind. It was blowing pretty strong which made some of the hills a real pain. After 17 miles, the rest of the group was ready to call it a day. I was bummed but excited all at the same time because while I felt I had another 3 in me and would have loved to get up to 20, I was pretty excited that I was feeling strong when everyone else felt tired and done...kind of selfish, I know, but I've been on the tired/sore/walking end of our group times many a time so yesterday left me with a really good feeling. I could have stayed out on my own and done 3 more but after we stood and chatted for 20 minutes and had snacks, I decided to just head home.
When I got in, my husband did a double take and said, "Woah! Your face is really red!" Sure enough, I looked like a tomato. The redness is normal for me but this time was different. It wouldn't go away. I did my usual post-run routine - smoothie, shower - and still, crazy red face. We had a Superbowl party last night so I got busy with all the party prep. I made chili with a ton of toppings (extra spicy!), two kinds of dip and your typical cheese/pepperoni/cracker plate. When I went to put on my makeup, my face was still red. And blotchy. And my eyes were still puffy. Basically, I think I had windburn. I've never had it before so I'm not positive, but wow....not pretty. I put on makeup which didn't help so basically I looked like a freak all night at my party. Awesome. (Even this morning, it's still a little blotchy and my eyes are still puffy!)
As for the food, the first dip was a Mexican layer dip. I've made one similar to this one before but yesterday, I tried a new recipe because I didn't want to have to worry about keeping it hot. It was a hit with my friends but I wasn't crazy about it:
1 can refried black beans
chili powder
1/4 cup sour cream
shredded cheddar cheese
tomato, diced
olives, diced
green onions, diced
Mix the refried beans and chili powder. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate. top with the rest of the ingredients.
The next dip was my healthy option - Mediterranean Dip. I loved this one but it hardly got touched. I think my friends are more into cheesy concoctions for the big game.
7oz container of hummus
paprika
feta cheese (I used fat free)
diced tomato
diced black olives
diced cucumber
Spread the hummus on the bottom of a pie plate, sprinkle with paprika. Top with remaining ingredients. This was really yummy. But then, I'm a huge hummus fan.
Oh, and I have to tell you about my post-run smoothie!
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond breeze
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 banana
1/4 apple
small handful of frozen cherries
few ice cubes and a splash of water
Yum! The cherries in this one really made it over the top good!
Now I'm off to tackle round two of the party dishes and vacuum the crumbs that Murphy managed to miss!
No comments:
Post a Comment