Pages

8.25.2010

10 Miler Done - New Leaf Turned Over

After our mini-getaway to Baltimore (also known as 'mom's attempt to salvage summer' or '4 more days of no running'), I got back on the running program and put in a fantastic 10-miler on Tuesday.  I know.  A very strange distance to run during the week but I happened to get an email from Runner's World on Tuesday morning with a link to the "Late Entry: Go from maintenance fitness to race-ready shape without hurting yourself" (you've probably seen it if you read the magazine) and thought, "10 miles?  Ok!" And just went out and did it.  Not that I'm going to follow this plan which is a down and dirty 4 weeks to marathon plan (assuming you weekly mileage has consisted of several 6-milers and and at least one 8 - 12 miler). First of all, I have a bit more than 4 weeks before MCM and second of all, I'm counting on my friend/coach Bill to come through with some kind of get-your-ass-in-gear-with-this-made-specially-for-you training plan.  Should arrive in my inbox any day now......  I'll admit though that it was nice to see in writing that I'm not totally screwed and should be able to get ready for MCM if I stop pushing running to the back burner.  

I'm more concerned about my ankle than my mileage.  I've got some kind of crazy ankle pain that has been a bit of a bother since April.  I've been able to pretty much ignore it until the last 4 weeks or so when the pain has become a constant - rather than just when I run - and it's pretty much always puffed up to some degree.  I decided to call a poditrist just to be on a safe side.  And this isn't that annoying quack doctor that I saw a while back for my weak ankle issues.  That dude just wanted to inject me with cortisone and managed to convince me to buy $400 orthotics which I never wear.  Hopefully this new guy will be better.  He'll tell me to ice more often and keep on running!  I can't get in to see him until September 8th and in all honesty, I'm kind of glad.  I really don't want anyone telling me I can't run so putting this off is just fine and dandy with me.  Healthy, right?

So.  Ran the 10 yesterday.  Took today off due to ankle pain but will be back on the horse tomorrow for a smaller distance of 5 or 6.  Having Dad healthy and finally home from Boston is allowing me to breath big sighs of relief and just get moving.  Getting the kids back into school is going to help a lot too!

I haven't talked about food or green smoothies in forever it seems!  Probably because along with a summer of worry brought a summer of pretty awful eating.  I either wasn't eating or grabbing whatever carbs I could get my hands on as a comfort thing.  Along with getting back to my fitness routine, I'm slowly getting back to my healthy eating routine too.  Up for tonight - baked halibut with a black olive tapenade topping.  Yum!  Hopefully it'll turn out and I'll post a photo tomorrow.  I also stocked up on spinach, bananas and lots of other fruits today at Wegmans so the Vitamix is going to be back in action tomorrow!  When life derails, hang on and eventually it'll get back on track.

3 comments:

Lesley Looper said...

Glad to see your blog going again! I'm currently using both Blogger and Wordpress for different blogs, and I definitely think Blogger is easier!

Ugh, I'm looking at custom orthotics recommended by the podiatrist, but I'm worried that if I get them, they won't work. :/ If only they weren't so dang expensive!!

sites like service said...

Thank you for this wonderful blog

marmot said...

that was a wonderful post! thanks for sharing this!