One month after Shamrock (is it wrong that I'm still on a marathon-finisher-high??), I finally got outside for a run yesterday. I can't believe it was my first outdoor run in a month but then, I did take a lot of time off. It was so great to get out again. I forgot just how invigorating running outside is vs. the treadmill! I actually missed hills! And turns!! And the occasional breeze! I was super pumped when I got out there so I ended up running the 7 miles much faster than I normally would so my legs are a bit sore today. It's one of those good kind of sores though. It was a lot of fun to just turn it up.
EAT:

Have you tried Kashi's new microwavable rice? I'm a huge fan of all things spicy, in fact, my husband is constantly laughing at me because for me, a normal place setting includes a plate, fork, knife, napkin and red pepper flakes so I was super excited to see Kashi's Firery Fiesta rice. When I first found it, I bought two packages sure I would love it. Unfortunately, I didn't. It was pretty dry (I'm more of a mushy rice kinda gal) and I didn't think it was spicy. However! I'm super happy to report that I gave it a second chance (only because my husband was out of town, I didn't feel like cooking and it was the only quick-cooking thing I had around). This time, I followed the "recommended" method of cooking. Instead of just tearing the top of the bag and microwaving, I dumped it in a bowl, added 2 tablespoons of water, covered it and let it go for 90 seconds. Much better!! No more dry rice! I didn't find it spicy but then, my taste buds are a bit hard to please in that area, but after several dashes of red pepper flakes, it was perfect! Kashi does it again!
WHAT THE HELL MOMENT:
Wednesday I took my boys to the dentist. After the cleanings, the (hot) dentist comes in and starts chatting to the boys, talking to me about teeth, etc. I was still in my gym clothes (I know, gross, but a girl's gotta fit it in when she can!) and so he suddenly says to me, "Are you a runner?" so I (beaming) say, "Yes." and then he says, "I can tell by your physique." Uh, hellloooo Dr. Dreamy Dentist! (Note: normally I would find this a bit odd and possible offensive but in the case of hot-dentist, I was kinda giddy about it. I know, I'm totally shallow.) Unfortunately, my, "take that all you boys in high school!" feeling didn't last because he followed that comment up with, "So, do you notice that your face is sagging at all? It seems to happen to runners, why do you think that is?" What. The. Hell. Seriously. WTF??? I had no idea what to say. I stammered and then I said, "Do you mean that a lot of runners have thin faces? I think that's probably because running burns so many calories." And he says, "Well, sometimes they look a bit drawn." Yeah, yeah dental boy. Just finish up so I can get the hell out of here. I get in my car and immediately flip down the mirror and give my face a good, hard look. I don't see it. Was he talking about me or runners in general, I asked myself. And then, just like that, I was in high school again and just wanted to go to my room and turn up my Bryan Adams record and write in my notebook, "Dental boy sucks!"
DO:

I think I need to get one of those foam roller things for my left IT Band. It was pretty painful during the marathon and it's still acting up on me. Anyone have experience/advice in this area? Do the rollers really help (the woman in the photo sure looks happy)? I'm really bad at stretching....meaning, I don't do it. I know. That is the worst thing I could do.
8 comments:
Oh my gosh- the dentist story is too funny- I think I would have been a stuttering mess trying to figure out what the heck to say to him!
As for the foam roller- one of my running partners and another friend's husband both have it and swear by it. It made a huge difference for both of them!
#1. Stay in that marathon high as long as you can!!!
#2. I think the dentist probablt just meant thin. Normal people tend to think "in shape" people don't look right. I've lost some weight and have had people tell me I'm "getting too thin". If I don't have abs, I'm not too thin.
#3. YES!!! Get a foam roller. They work but I promise you won't be smiling like the woman in the picture. They can be very painful. Find the knots and just roll on them until they loosen.
I have a foam roller and it does wonders for my hips/hamstrings and IT Band. Haven't had an ounce of problems with those areas while training!
dental boy -- hilarious story!
i haven't tried the foam roller(i'm naturally lazy and the foam roller just looked like too much work) but have friends who love it!
I'm a Certified Athletic Trainer, and runner, and YES, get the foam roller. It's one of the best investments you can make! Just DON'T roll over the lateral joint line (the bottom of the IT band where it crosses the knee joint line.) ... this may cause more irritation then do good. Just stick with the outside "meaty" part of the thigh. And ice massage, ice massage, ice massage!!
Ice massage (10 min); foam roller; and Advil... you'll be feeling real good in no time. Good luck!
-Sandy
I've had problems with my IT band in the past. Things would be fine until my mileage started increasing. I tried everything: NSAIDs and ice, foam roller, chiropractor, massage. Then, while visiting a running store (Falls Road Running) to pick up a race bib, I started talking to the proprietor. He suggested that the problem may be my shoes. While IT problems can be caused by overpronation, they can also be caused by underpronation. He switched me from a motion control shoe (Asics Gel Kayano) to a cushioned shoe (Brooks Glycerin). Since then I've had no problems, even when I increase my mileage.
Okay, I've had a sneaking suspicion since the weekend that my IT band is getting fussy, so your post and the above comments have great timing!
Rolled my eyes at Dental Boy. Sometimes people (not just guys!) need to know when to stop talking! I'm reminded of that scene in "The Cosby Show" when Eldon is seeking advice from Cliff on how to deal with Sondra over some issue. Both hands in the air=backing off! Stop there!
LMAO @your kids' dentist. I'm sure you didn't find it too funny, but to read your reaction had me giggling. :-)
Post a Comment