Pages

4.01.2009

MCM: Still Undecided. Army 10-Miler? Bring It!

Well, it's April 1st. Also known as Marine Corps Marathon decision day.

I haven't made a decision.

I got a couple of good comments yesterday and I agree with them both. I have heard that MCM is a packed field and very hard to get going particularly in the first 8 miles or so and thus, is very hard to get a good pace on. I've also heard that running with a pacer is dang near impossible because they zip out right at the start and weave in and out of all those people and it's super hard to keep them in your sights. On the other hand, I can't justify another travel race this year so if I'm going to do one, I need to keep it local. MCM is nice and local. Also pulling me toward the registration button is the experience of MCM which I have heard is just incredible. So. I continue to ponder but I better make up my mind soon.

I did, however, sign up for the Army Ten-Miler today! I'm really excited about this race, which takes place three weeks before MCM, because I know a lot of people who are going to run it so it should be a lot of fun.

I went to spinning again today. It doesn't seem to bother my foot at all so that's a definite plus. I'm going to keep doing that, the rower and the elliptical and give my feet a good rest. I just heard them sigh with relief. Your welcome feet.

2 comments:

Old School Runner said...

I think we are in similar circumstances: both looking for a fall marathon to shave a few minutes and qualify for Boston. Once race I forgot to mention is the North Central Trail Marathon, which is held in Sparks, not far from Baltimore on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The course is flat and forgiving, and the field is small. Runners World gave it a nice writeup last year. You might also want to look into the Richmond Marathon. Some say it's a bit hilly, and the weather can be iffy. Finally, if you are willing to drive a bit, you can consider the Steamtown Marathon in Scranton in October. Good luck!

I signed up for the Army Ten Miler, too!

Frannie said...

Sign up for MCM! I ran it last year, my first one and loved every minute. Even the painful minutes. I learned that I was much slower than what I was shooting for, but I finished in a respectable time and registered again for this year. It's such a beautiful course and I didn't find it difficult to battle crowds at all. It was a very friendly race too.

Have fun on the Army 10-miler! It's an awesome race too with a beautiful course. The only reason I didn't register this year was because of it's proximity to MCM and the fact that it's typically the week you run your 20 miler. I plan on training with my friends again and this year I don't want to miss any training runs.

Good luck!!