Things went well in spinning yesterday. Didn't bother my foot at all which was a pleasant surprise. I'll have to stick to spinning and rowing while I give my foot some time off from running.
Speaking of running...I've got someone trying to plant a seed for another marathon. I'm still dealing with issues from the first one! Registration opens tomorrow for the Marine Corps Marathon here in D.C. in October. How am I supposed to make that decision already!? What to do, what to do......
2 comments:
If you're focused on slicing the last few minutes off of your time in order to qualify for Boston, the Marine Corps Marathon may not be the best place to do it. There are two factors that will slow you down at MCM: congestion and the hills in the first few miles. With over 20,000 runners, MCM is really tight, especially for the first 6 or 7 miles. There is no staggered start, just one gun. There are some tight turns and narrow segments that will slow you down until things start to open up around mile 8. Second, take a look at the elevation profile on the MCM website. The scale makes it seem hillier than it really is, but there are some significant hills in the first 7 miles. After that, the course is very flat. You can look at my race report from last October.
One good thing about the MCM is they have historically allowed for deferrals and transfers. If you get injured, you can defer your entry until the next year for a small fee. In addition, you can transfer your bib to another rub (legally). The new runner pays the $25 transfer fee. Since the race sells out every year, you should not have any problem finding someone eager to take your spot. So, if you're looking for a memorable fall marathon in the DC area, MCM is a good one--just be aware that it might not be the best race to shoot for a BQ. The current issue of Running Times has a good article on the best races to shoot for a PR at distances from 5K to the marathon. Good luck!
MCM is really packed; but, if you're like me, it's hard to justify the cost of traveling far to run a marathon (unless I was already going there to visit!). So, I'm planning on running it again this year!
Post a Comment