Pages

4.20.2009

Kara is My Hero


How exciting was the Boston Marathon today?! Even though I bitched about it not being on T.V. and then whined about having to watch it on the computer, I still loved every second of it! I was screaming, "Go Kara!!!" at my monitor and probably looked like a complete fool but dang that shit was exciting!
After the race, my heart just broke for her as she hugged her husband and cried. What an incredible showing though. At the press conference, she said, "I'm proud of how I ran. I'm proud of how I did and I raced the best that I could, but I wanted to be the one who won for everybody." She is amazing. Seriously amazing. And such an inspiration. I got my butt on the treadmill immediately following the race even though I really, really didn't feel like it. Thanks Kara!

And! I learned that I have something in common with the great Kara Goucher!! Check this out from Runners World:
Goucher also ran into trouble with her water bottles in New York and today donned gloves studded with rubber tread on the palms for extra traction. Even so, she laughed, "I missed a bottle again. Apparently I have no athletic skill at grabbing a water bottle."

Holy shit! Me too girl!!! I am so with you there! That water grabbing/drinking on the run thing is hard! Those gloves I wore during the entire freaking Shamrock Marathon? It wasn't because I was cold, it was so that I could clean my face after spilling every cup of water all over myself! Those gloves were the next best thing to a bib!
The gloves are on around mile 21-ish despite the blazing sun..

Yup, that's me, the headless finisher, with the gloves still on just in case someone throws some water my way.

And apparently I couldn't even take them off for the official finish photo. I think I was thinking ahead to those 4 free beers.

I'm so happy to hear that she has issues too! It's like those US Weekly articles, "Stars: They're Just Like Us!"

4 comments:

chia said...

Only 4? I thought you said you had been training ;-).

Love the shots!

mommyrunsalot said...

my heart broke for her, too :( i am rooting for her like crazy. i love that she is so open about her training, issues, etc. (in the latest RW's issue) -- it's inspiring to regular ol' runners like me :) check out her post-race interviews on flocast.com if you haven't already!

Old School Runner said...

She is an amazing runner, that's for sure. But she's also a great person. Check out this article from the Wall Street Journal about her marriage to Adam Goucher (also a great runner):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121876771530343387.html

Old School Runner said...

Sorry, link didn't post properly

http://online.wsj.com/article/
SB121876771530343387.html

Just take out the line breaks.