Pages

3.12.2009

Marathon Brain

I had a fantastic weekend "off" of running. I needed the mental break and I couldn't have picked a better weekend, weather-wise, to get one. I might have had a few too many beers on a date with my husband Saturday night but I'm just going to chalk that up as very early carb-loading.

On Monday, I went to the gym for a strength training class that I don't normally attend. I had to give up my Tuesday regular class because I went on a field trip with my son's 3rd grade class so I was excited to see a class on Monday. The instructor seemed nice enough but it just reinforced what a creature of habit I am. I just couldn't get into it. She was so different from my regular instructor - she was the more perky type where as my regular class has a more military yet hilarious instructor. The class was jam packed but everyone was very quiet with very little interaction with the instructor. My regular class is a bunch of really fun women and when the instructor yells something out to us, we all happily respond. So I was pretty excited to get back to my old stand by today. Then my kindergartner got off the bus yesterday with a fever. So much for that plan.

Obviously no one likes to see their kid sick but right now, I have to admit, this has me way more freaked out than normal because I'm terrified that I'm going to get his bug. He is coughing up a storm, laying on the couch and generally looks miserable. I am a week away from a marathon! Holy crap-balls. Aside from putting him in a bubble, or me for that matter, I just don't know how I can prevent getting it. Especially since I'm a wee bit stressed out right now which I know opens me up to the bug. Think good thoughts for me!

Speaking of the little punk, his birthday is next Friday. And oh yeah, might want to send out invitations, order a cake and get goodie bags put together. My marathon mush brain is in full effect. I had totally forgotten all the stuff I needed to do! So yesterday, I got all the invitations together, addressed, stamped and mailed. After I mailed them, I realized I didn't put the return address on any of them...whatever, no biggie right? Yeah. No biggie until I realized that I put .39 stamps on them. When the hell was the last time I mailed something?? Marathon brain. So my husband says, "Don't worry about it, they'll get returned by tomorrow or Friday and you can just resend them." Um, yeah honey, that would be true and great and all if I had put the freaking return address on them!!! So. While sicky lays on the couch, I am redoing birthday invitations.

After having the weekend off, I ran the schedule-called for run of 4 miles on Monday and 3 miles on Tuesday. Wednesday was supposed to be a rest day but since it was so nice out, I decided to run the 6 that is on tap for today. I got out there on the path and was a little over a mile out when I realized that I didn't lock the truck. My gym bag with wallet, phone and house keys were in there. Marathon brain. So at 1.5, I turned and literally sprinted back to the car 100% sure that my stuff would be gone. Thankfully it was still there. So much for my 6 miles.

This weekend calls for 8 miles which I'll do Saturday. Then next week is two 3-mile runs and that's it!! Oh, and I got my confirmation card in the mail on Tuesday with my bib number. Pretty exciting!! It says that in addition to all the beers they will have after the run, there will be Irish Beef Stew. Um. Yeah. I'm pretty sure my weak stomach wont be able to handle beef strew!

1 comment:

Lesley Looper said...

Sending "stay well" karma your way! You can do this! Looking forward to your race report on the flip side.