Pages

3.06.2009

First Spring Run?!

I decided to do my long run today rather than wait until Saturday. It was a mere (hardy-har-har-har) 12 miles so I could fit it in between kindergarten drop off and afternoon pick up plus, in all honesty, I've really been missing my family Saturday's. Spending my morning fueling for a long run, stressing about a long run, trying to figure out how many layers to wear on a long run while my husband and boys talk about how they are going to spend the day - indoor pool? lunch out? an afternoon of Wii-filled-laughter? - has come pretty dang close to putting me over the edge. Then when I finally finish the run, the rest of Saturday is spent on the couch. Given all that, and the fact that it was 60 degrees out today (and sunny!) I decided to shake things up (I'm all kinds of kooky like that) and get my 12 miles done today. Oh, and one other big reason why I did this today: on Wednesday, I went out for my 7 mile run and decided to turn it into a tempo run. I decided I would get 7 done in under an hour. I really let myself go and just ran - no iPod, no heart rate monitor - just ran. 67 minutes later, I was finished and feeling very strong and refreshed. I've also received so many kind comments and emails from fellow running bloggers after my last 'feeling sorry for myself' post. You guys are the best and seriously have no idea how much you are helping me get through this training! So, still feeling the love, I was hoping that I'd blast through 12 nice and strong.

It was so perfect out today! The birds were back and louder than I've heard them in months and I actually saw some brave flowers poking through the dirt. Spring may actually be right around the corner, folks! I ran the 12 in 1 hour, 46 minutes. Not to shabby for someone who has been filled with self-doubt lately. And the best part? I get to spend tomorrow, which is supposed to be even warmer, with my peeps!

Official Count Down: 14 days: 14 hours: 58 minutes. Gulp.

5 comments:

chia said...

Yaaaay! I'm glad you're getting some good weather over there! Sure makes training a lot more enjoyable. Have a great fam-Saturday!

Smillie Lady said...

Congrats! I had a long run yesterday and didn't do as well as I've done previously on long runs. I actually had some tears! I'm working towards a half at the end of the year - just did my first 5K a couple of weeks ago. THANK YOU for the inspiration!

Old School Runner said...

12 miles in 1:46 is excellent for a training run! You can see that some days you have it, and some days you don't. You clearly "had it" on that run. I see a terrifc marathon performance in your future!

Julie D said...

I also have the same countdown for a March 22 marathon. Have a great taper!!

Katie said...

Sounds like a great run! And hooray for having a free Saturday to spend with the family!