Pages

2.05.2009

Spinning/Running/Feet

Yesterday I went to spinning and I seriously think my ass will never be the same. Ouch. I haven't been in awhile due to schedule conflicts and not being able to get a bike (when are the new years resolution people going to drop out??) and so that's probably why I'm so sore but man! Kinda makes me re-think the spinning idea. On the other hand, I have to believe that something that is so hard to get through has got to be helping me. I have such a love-hate relationship with spinning. I totally hate it while I'm there but once I'm done, I am so proud of myself for surviving. And the aching legs that scream out in pain as I walk up the stairs tells me it's working muscles I don't work while running. I wore my new Polar F11 during the class yesterday and I burned a whopping 496 calories! Impressive! That'll keep me going!

I ran 4 little miles on Tuesday night. Now that my long runs are getting longer, I'm finding it harder to get my weekly miles in....fortunately the schedule still has them pretty short. I just don't feel like it! Tuesday was ok once I was about a mile in but 4 was plenty. Today after strength training, I've got to get back on that treadmill for 5 miles then I still owe 8 before this weekends long run. Blah. I guess I'll do the 8 on Friday and then long on Sunday. Yawn. I'm starting to bore myself. See? This is why I don't post often....there are simply no witty stories about mid week runs on the treadmill.

I got a call from my Podiatrist. My orthotics are in. Oh boy. So I go to pick them up tomorrow. I'm sure he'll tell me what to do but what do you guys think....should I run my long run with or without them? I was thinking I should do several shorter runs first to get used to them before wearing them for a long run.

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Without them! He'll likely tell you to break them in gradually by wearing them a little at a time until you're used to them.
Also be sure to consider the shoes you've been wearing. I didn't know I needed to change from stability to neutral shoes once I added the inserts, and I had problems for a while because of that. Eventually bought neutral shoes--overkill to combine orthotics with stability shoes.
Hope the foot is feeling better!

renae said...

Kristina! Good to hear from you!
Thanks for the advice. I'll try them on some shorter runs and leave them home this weekend for sure.
Good to know about the shoes. I'm due for shoes in the next month so I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks!

Julie D said...

Gosh, I had the same experience on Sunday trying to run 17 miles. After 14-15 miles, my legs were just pooping out on me, and I wondered how I will finish my March 22 marathon. I said to myself, and I'll say the same to you, hang in there!!