On Sunday, I ran 16 miles. The most I've ever run was the 14.5 from two weeks ago and of course my two half marathons so this 16 was a big ass deal. I'm still amazed that I did it. The path I ran was pretty sketchy too. It was pretty warm on Sunday, waiting until 11:00 helps with the temps, but there was still a lot of ice out there. I was pretty tense over those parts terrified that I was going to fall or twist an ankle. As a result, it took me kind of a long time to finish the 16. But then again, what do I know, I've never run 16 and haven't a clue how long it takes! Then on Sunday evening, we had a party for the big game. I was full of energy which I can only assume was the famous runners high. Yesterday though, I was beat! After that many miles, a party and staying up until midnight, my body said, "Ha! What, you think your 21 or something?" So yesterday I listened and stayed away from the gym. I did managed to do my 35 minute yoga dvd but that was it. And I have to say, as much as I really hate to admit it, I think that crazy dvd is working! I've been feeling a lot less tight lately.
This week calls for 3 runs of 4, 5 and 8 then a 17 miler this weekend. I wish I had longer than a week to celebrate the 16.
I used my new Polar F11 on the run. That thing kinda rocks! I've got to do a bit more reading though because I don't think I'm using it up to it's potential.
So that's it. Off to my strength training class today and hopefully I get into spinning tomorrow.
4 comments:
Hello-
I came across your blog a few weeks ago and added it to my reader. I am also training for my first 1/2 and was wondering how you came up with your training schedule.
Thanks,
Robert Goddard
Hi Robert!
For my first half marathon, I hate to admit it but I totally winged it. Not something I recommend! For my second, I joined a local running group because they offered a marathon/half-marathon training program. If you have access to a group, I highly recommend it. They gave me a weekly schedule to follow which was helpful but more than that, I was able to do speed workouts at a track with the group which really helped me learn to pace myself.
For this full marathon, I printed off the training schedule offered on the marathon website. I'm following it to the letter as far as miles go and throwing in cross training as well. I'm not doing the speed workouts with the group since it's winter but I've been trying to do some of it on the treadmill.
Check the website of whatever race you are doing and see if they have a schedule. Or, do a google search on half-marathon training schedules...there are a ton of them out there. In fact, the race I'm doing (Shamrock) has a half and they have a training schedule on their site.... http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/Primary_Navigation/Race_Info/training.htm
Good luck with your training!
Renae
I think you're making fantastic progress! I don't know how you made it through the Super Bowl party. After a long run like that, all I want to do is take a nap. It's interesting to feel your confidence grow as your long run increases. After you do the 20 miler, you'll be amazed.
Renae-
Thanks for the info, in my early post I meant to say that I'm training for my first full, have two 1/2s under my belt with another planned in 2 weeks.
I've been following a 1/2 training schedule that I found on the web, but was curious to see what others were doing.
I do have a running partner and we do run with a group on long runs, it has definitely been helpful.
Appreciate the advice and tips.
Good luck with your training.
Robert
Post a Comment