Pages

2.09.2009

I Want to Retire

I'm so over this. I am no longer having fun.

I ran the required 17 miles on Saturday and everything beyond mile 11 sucked. There is just no way I can sugar coat it. At mile 13, I walked for about 200 yards which actually made things worse....I am not the kind of person that can walk, regroup then start up again. The starting back up is way harder then when I just keep running. My legs were killing me. Every inch of both legs from the hips down. I finished though. It took me 2 hours and 41 minutes, but I finished.

So I got home feeling totally dejected (how the hell am I going to run 26.2 if 17 feels this bad??) and pulled out my schedule to write it down. It was then that I really took in how much I had done all week. First of all, my last long run of 16 miles was on Sunday so it hadn't been a full week yet...I have to think that another 24 hours would have helped a little! I had taken Monday off (just some yoga) then Tuesday went to strength training class followed by 4 miles. On Wednesday, I took that tough spinning class then on Thursday, went to strength training again and followed that up with a 5 mile run. Then on Friday, I ran 7. So, I'm thinking I shouldn't be so surprised that Saturday a.m. was a difficult run. But still. I'm feeling so over it all. It's taking so much of my time - it's all I think about - and I'm starting to get seriously stressed over it all.

Blah.

So there.

That was pleasant.

This week has a slightly easier schedule. I am doing nothing today in protest. The schedule calls for three runs this week of 4/5/6 then this weekend is "only" a 12-miler. I'm wondering if they (whoever the "they" is that made this schedule) knew that right about now is when babies like me start getting all emotional and so they threw us this little bone of a lighter week. I'm not going to spinning on Wednesday because I have to volunteer in Quinn's class and that's probably a good thing. Need to get my legs rested up. I'm getting too old for this crap.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

17 miles? girl, i wish i could run 17! thats awesome that you did that many just a couple days after another long run. you'll do a the full mary fine.

Anonymous said...

17 is so amazing! :)

I know how you feel though...I had a pretty rough 11 this past weekend, and I'm wanting to quit too. But...we won't quit! We will persevere! We will race and finish! And hopefully there will be no feeling like it when it's all said and done.

Eric said...

When I was training for a marathon, every run I did over 14 miles made me ask, "how am I ever going to run 26.2". You'll do fine :-)

Katie said...

I know the feeling. Hang in there!!

Lesley Looper said...

Hope you're feeling better lately! Amazing what some rest can do.

I've just started reading Dean Karnazes' Ultramarathon Man, hoping for some inspiration there.