1. I'm still 100% Spenda free!!! Very exciting, right?! And as a result, I don't drink as much coffee....that 4:00 pot I was brewing is a thing of the past!
2. Even though I'm still full of excuses (it's my shoes fault; it's just a bruise; all people have feet issues that keep them up at night...) I've finally caved and made an appointment with a podiatrist. D-day is Monday. I am totally in that, "I really don't want to know" mode...but trying to maintain a positive attitude!
3. This weekend, I made the most fantastic Chicken Tortilla Soup ever! I got the recipe from Oxygen Magazine so it's sorta good for you even!
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 7-oz can diced green chili peppers
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 lb chicken breasts (I actually used 2 big breasts....yeah, yeah, yeah...haha)
2 cups chicken broth (I used 3 because I don't like dry soup)
2 cups water
2 14 1/2-oz cans whole tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes and one can with jalapenos!)
1 14 1/2-oz can corn
1 14 1/2-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
salt to taste
2 whole wheat tortillas
1 lime quartered
4 tsp Greek yogurt
1/2 English cucumber, diced
Add first four ingredients to large stockpot over medium heat, let simmer until onion softens. Add chicken, broth, water and tomatoes with liquid. Cover and increase heat until liquid boils, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and shred. Return chicken to pot, chip up tomatoes in the pot with a spoon, add corn and beans and continue simmering for another 10 minutes or until chicken is entirely cooked through. Salt to taste. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350. Slice tortillas in half and then into strips and place on a baking sheet. Bake 10 minutes or until crisp. Garnish soup with tortilla strips, lime wedge, teaspoon of yogurt and cucumbers (I didn't do all that garnishing crap, I just ate it).
Anyway, it was a really yummy soup...perfect for this cold weather!
3 comments:
Splenda free?? I know I need to try this but I'm so hooked on it!!! Are you dying without it? Or are you using real sugar in it's place? I definitely don't want to do that.
Hi Denise - Yes! Splenda Free!!! I'm so excited about it because I too was completely hooked on the stuff. I thought I'd have to stop using it little by little but I went cold turkey and haven't been back. I drink flavored coffee (Dunkin Donuts brand) with just 2% milk. I will admit that I don't enjoy my coffee quite as much but it's getting better. I haven't attempted a Starbucks Vanilla Latte yet though...don't know how that's going to go. And I may be crazy but I swear my headaches have totally disappeared and I am convinced that the Splenda was causing them! Good luck!
Kudos on finally going to the doctor!!
Post a Comment