Pages

1.13.2009

Finally - A Run Outside!

Yesterday's schedule only had me running 3 miles so I decided to stop being such a baby and do it outside. I figured I could be cold for 3 miles plus, the weather for the rest of the week screams treadmill. I went out to the trail and I can't tell you how great it felt to be back outside! I ended up running a lot faster than I had intended and a bit longer - 5 instead of 3.

Weird injury though. After my 12.4 treadmill hell on Saturday, I went to the grocery store but other than that, I was in the house all weekend so I never put on my shoes. My feet were, as always after a long run, sore but nothing too terribly out of the ordinary. But then yesterday when I put my shoes on to take Quinn to the bus, the top of my right foot screamed in pain. I thought something was in the shoe so I took it off but it looked fine. Put it back on, took a couple of steps and, OUCH! What the hell? It felt like the tongue was the problem so I kind of wiggled it around but it still hurt. I got Quinn to the bus and drove out to the trail. When I got out of the car, I messed with my shoe a bit more then just ran. It hurt on and off during the run but when I got home and took off my shoe, I found a big 'ol bruise on the top of my foot! It starts on the top, bone, of my big toe and spreads across the middle of my foot. I have no idea what this is all about. Maybe my shoe was too tight during the long run and then yesterday's additional run was enough to make the bruise appear? It's sore though, that's for sure.

Today's schedule calls for 4 miles then rest tomorrow followed by 7 on Thursday. I have more time today than I will on Thursday so I'm going to flip those two days and try the 7 today - hopefully my foot will chill out. This weekend is a long 14 miler that I'm recruiting my friend to run with me.....that should help big time. Hopefully we don't freeze our asses off!

Something that has absolutely nothing to do with running: My mother got my boys this alien maker thing for Christmas. It is the coolest! I can't get enough of it.....er...um, I mean, they boys love it but they always need my help!

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Way to go for getting out there! I had a weird bruisey pain on the top of my right foot, too, last week. Turned out I ran in new shoes with the laces too tight. I took 2 days off, iced it a lot, and went back to my old shoes today. Everything was fine. So it could be your laces, in which case you could try some alternate lacing. Go to the RW web site and search for "laces" and it will have a page with different options.
However...it could also be a neuroma, which I think is a pinched nerve. A few friends of mine have had them lately and it feels like a bruise on the top of the foot. You'd need a podiatrist to deal with that.
This is a very long winded comment--sorry! But I just wanted to offer some ideas!
Run well...

Katie said...

Way to go on getting out there!! I wish I had a treadmill at home for cold days, though it would probably collect dust like our weight machine :-).

Anonymous said...

if your pain persists, definitely go and check it out.

This is EXACTLY what happened to me last spring and I ignored it. The end result was a very painful (and not successful) surgery this past October.

Email me for more info, or you can search on my blog for "Hallux Rigidus"I have several posts about what I went thru.

Keep your feet healthy! :)