
Last week I ran twice while my kids were at school, 4.4 on Wednesday and 6 on Thursday. This new found freedom in the middle of the day is pretty awesome indeed. I'm anxious for the weather to cool off though because Quinn doesn't get on the bus until about 20 after 11:00 so it's pretty hot when I run. Wednesday was pretty miserable and I was beyond frustrated that I only ran that far. On Thursday, I decided to head out to the W&OD Trail where the running group meets for it's long runs on the weekend. The thought was that I needed something flat...my neighborhood is pretty hilly. By the time I got to the trail, it was pushing noon and super hot. I had my good attitude hat on though and took off. I ran the first 3 way too fast so when I turned to head back, I had to slow down quite a bit. Then the stopping began. I stopped to walk for 2 minutes at mile 3.5....and then again a little after 4.....and again at mile 5. I managed to push through that last mile without stopping but by that point, I was probably speed walking rather than actually running! I have no clue what my problem has been! Yes it was crazy hot but I shouldn't have such issues with 5 miles! I stopped at the running store on the way home and bought a fuel belt. Carrying a bottle of water has gotten old so I decided that if I had a belt, I would have one less thing to whine about.
On Saturday, I took advice that I've gotten from a few of you and switched up my breakfast. Instead of my usual peanut butter on a whole wheat english muffin, I had 2 eggs and 1 piece of whole wheat toast. I am a creature of habit so I have to say that eating something different felt very strange. 2 hours later, I hopped on the treadmill (because Hurricane Hanna made running outside impossible) and ran 10 miles! Without stopping! I only had the incline at 1.5 and there was no wind, sun, heat to get in my way which I'm sure aided in my run but it felt great to get back up into the double digits again, I can't even tell you! I'm hoping that I was just having something similar to writers block....maybe all my issues have been in my head? Or at least contributing to it? I'm only 4 weeks away from Baltimore and I've been freaking out a bit (ok, a lot) about it telling myself I'm not ready and no way would I run the same time as I did in Fredericksburg. Beating myself up certainly hasn't helped.
I'm going to run again today after Quinn gets on the bus. The plan is to run 5 today, 6 Wednesday, 5 Friday then some kind of long run on the weekend. The schedule calls for 12. Yeah, don't know about that.
Oh, and for the record, I had eggs again this morning....2 again only this time, with a little spinach thrown in. I'm hoping they work their magic again for today's run!
3 comments:
Alright Popeye, game on!
You're going to do fine in Baltimore ;-). Point is, you sound as though you had a fantastic summer with the fam and that's all that counts!
Great Job!!!
Whoa! Eggs are amazing! :) Congrats on the 10 mile TREADMILL run... I would have given up at five just because of the treadmill factor. Eggs seriously help after a long run too.
Post a Comment