Pages

6.05.2008

Speed Drills....Not So Fun.

Today I did my first official FIRST speed workout. It sucked. Driving to a track to make the 12 x 400 official didn't fit into my time crunch so I hit the treadmill instead. I think one thing I like about doing these speed drills on the treadmill is that there is no cheating. 9mph is 9mph - every f-ing time. But I did it. The only part that I didn't manage to get done was the 12 bursts. I only got 8 in but it was a solid 8, dammit! There is just nothing fun about running balls out until you feel like you are going to puke then having 6mph for 90 seconds be your cool down. Blah. I was happy I got done what I did though. Every bit counts, right?
Yesterday for cross training, I did 30 minutes of yoga in the morning (I know, doesn't really count for those FIRST boys) and then a 45 minute kick-boxing workout which sufficiently kicked my ass.
So I'd call this week a semi-success and it's only Thursday! See? I can have a glass half full attitude!

1 comment:

Old School Runner said...

I've talked to people who have had both good and bad results with the FIRST program. I have never tried it myself, so I don't have any advice to offer. I think I can say, however, that you may not want to run your intervals full blast. They should be run at a controlled intensity, one that you can maintain through each rep. Try running 6 to 8 reps at your 10K race pace, with the same distance as a recovery. Your recovery time should not be longer than 2 times the time you spent running fast. Good luck!