I mentioned that I got the book on the FIRST Training Program last week. I've read most of it and have decided to give it a go. The half marathon training program is an 18-week program. Guess how many weeks until the Baltimore Half? Yup, 18. Coincidence? I think not! That was a sure sign if I ever saw one. Not to mention the fact that you only have to run 3 days a week which I think will be good for me since we are going to get into the heat of the summer pretty quickly around here. As much as I love to run, I hate to run in the heat so with this program, I have a built in excuse for skipping hot days. "Go for a run in the 98 degree heat with dripping humidity? I'd loooove to, but it's my cross training day!" Perfect.
First of all, there are a hell of a lot of charts in that book. All filled with race times that then give you what your pace times should be during the three running workouts. After finding your pace for the workouts, you simply flip to page 115 where you are given a sample week plan to follow. Day 1: Cross Train, Day 2: Run (track repeats), Day 3: Cross Train, Day 4: Run (Tempo Run), Day 5: Rest, Day 6: Run (Long Run), Day 7: Optional Cross Train or Rest. Sounds easy enough, right? Right.
I started my week yesterday because I like starting my running weeks on a Sunday and also because June 1st seemed like the perfect day to start a new plan. Since it was a weekend day, I chose to start the program with the long run. According to the half marathon plan, my first long run needed to be 8 miles at my HMP +20/mile pace. Flip to another chart and I learned that I needed to run 8 miles at my HMP (half marathon pace) which, according to the book, is 8:53 plus 20 seconds per mile which is 9:13. OK! So. All I need to do is run a consistent 9:13 mile for 8 miles. No problem!
I charted out a run and headed out. (Obviously I didn't learn my lesson from last week though because I didn't start out until 11:00 and it was hot!) When I got to the end of the first mile, I checked my watch...8:20...damn. I felt like I was running slow so I was surprised at how off I was. I felt like I slowed down during mile 2....7:53...huh?? Mile 3 I kept saying to myself "slow down, slow down, slow down...." 8:50, better! Mile 4 was a disaster at 7:45. What the hell?! I think my problem is that if I go too slow, I just want to stop. I have no idea. How do I pace myself?? I was all over the board. Mile 5 was 9:32 which is a lot closer to where I was supposed to be but that's probably because I had to stop and walk a bit because it was so bloody hot and I don't think I was properly hydrated because I was starting to feel kind of nauseous. I consider my first FIRST long run a failure because (a) I couldn't get the pace right, and (b) I had to cut the run short. Rather than 8 miles, I only ran 6.5 because I felt so shitty (how is that for an optimistic attitude?). I need to make a mental note to start drinking a lot more water if I think I'm going to be running in this heat.
Today is a new day though and I'm keeping at it! I need to cross train today according to one of my little tables. Acceptable cross training consists of swimming (not for me), biking, deep water rowing (huh?) and rowing. What about the elliptical, you ask? That's what I said. Page 105 tells me that because the elliptical (and stairclimber) is a 'weight-bearing mode that simulates running' it is not recommended in the FIRST program. Guess what I have in my basement right near my treadmill? Yeah. Swell. So, I'll head to the gym this evening for a ride on the 'ol stationary bike.
I have a question for those of you in the know...for the track repeats (speed workouts), can I simulate on the treadmill some days or is it just not the same? Also, has anyone tried this program? If so, got any pointers?
2 comments:
I had a couple of friends recommend doing the speed workouts on treadmills. I thought they were nuts and I personally didn't like it very much since there wasn't anything to bitch about on the tready (no wind, no hill, no other standard attractions that make running on firm ground more difficult). So, I downloaded one of those "Couch to 5K" podcasts in iTunes to my nano which is a walk/run program for beginners. Instead of using it to walk/run, I used it outside on my normal routs to remind me when to go normal pace then initiate "death mode." I can't watch a clock for shit and tracks bore the tar out of me.
No elliptical!?!? I thought for sure that was an allowed activity. Now that you say it, I guess it makes sense... but sheesh!!!
I just ran the NJ Marathon in May using the FIRST plan as outlined in Runner's World. I would have to say it works VERY well. I did several of the speed workouts on the treadmill and I think they were strong workouts. I think it's good to have the pace dictated every now and then. You can't miss your pace on the treadmill! For 1200s and 1600s it can be painful. Find a road with 10th mile markers for the long repeats.
By the way, for cross training, just keep the heart rate up. The elliptical every now and then is fine but it's not much of a mental break from running (which you will need on this plan with the paces it sets!).
Post a Comment