Pages

5.30.2008

Running at High Noon is Stupid

I know I've said it over and over again, but I have to grab my runs when I can get them and sometimes that means running when I hadn't even thought about it. Today was such a day. My husband announced at 11:30 that he was going up to the bike shop to get fitted for his new road bike then would be hitting Home Depot and said, "Want to go for a run? I'll take little man with me." Don't have to ask me twice! I was changed and out the door within 5 minutes of that coming out of his mouth. It was damn hot though. Around 83ish and not a cloud in the sky, but I swear that hot black pavement made it more like 100 degrees. I was fine for the first mile but then I just wanted the shade and a big glass of ice water. Around mile 5, I was ready to stop and walk for a bit but just then I was about 3 houses down from one of the neighborhood queen bees. I have some seriously stuck up, plastic women in this neighborhood that I just don't fit in with. So there was this princess sitting on her little bench in her front yard under her perfectly flowering shady tree with her perfectly perky blond ponytail and I thought to myself "Oh hell no, I'm so not stopping!" and I ran by. I'm sure she thought "ew, sweat" but no way was I going to look tired and like I had to stop and walk by her house. That was all I needed to get past that hard part of the run and I was able to finish running the full 6.1.

I found a super cool site for mapping my runs. I usually use g-map but today I found RunningMap. Have you seen this one? Really cool! So much more user friendly. There is a helpful 10 minute video that shows all the features. Give it a look-see, so far, I'm loving it.

In other news, I found out that the inability to run in place is hereditary! My little man can't do it either! During his Wii Fit running session, he slammed into the table just as many times as I did! Poor thing...I feel so bad that I passed that down to him. My husband, on the other hand, is quite the run-in-place-dude. He was showing off a bit if you ask me. Hopefully my big kid got Dad's genes.

2 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

I read the title of your post and knew just what it had to be about. This was yesterday not too long after I got back from a 4 mile run at 6 pm. When I left it was 88 degrees and the sun was still very hot. Oh the joys of running in the summer. I should back off training for a fall marathon, and train for a spring one instead :)

chia said...

I just did a half that didn't even start til around 9 a.m. Pounding sun at 11 a.m. is seriously horrid.... but not near as hot as what you had.

You should have given little miss princess pants a big bear hug.

I despise princesses.