Pages

5.28.2008

Wednesday is Cross Training Day! ....or not.

Today I went to the gym with the intention of running on the treadmill for 20 minutes then getting in some cross training in the form of the bike and rower. Since I was only supposed to run for 20 minutes, I decided to turn it into a speed workout. I was going back and forth between running at 7.4 to 8.5 - usually spending 1 minute to 1 minute and 30 seconds at the fast speed. Pretty soon, the 7.4 started going up as did the 8.5. And then you know what happens after that...the 'screw the 20 minutes, lets continue speed work for a 5k' talk and competition with the clock. I ended up doing the 5k in 26:12 which is fast for me. I walked for 3 minutes, telling myself to get off the treadmill and get to the cross training I came to the gym for but after 3 minutes, I wanted to run some more. I ended up running 3 more at a tempo pace which actually felt slow after the speedy running I did for the first 3.1 (finished 6.1 in 52:09). And no, I didn't cross train after that. Is it possible to love running too much? Seriously. I have been good about the yoga and last night I did some upper body strength work and a good core workout but I really did want to row and bike today. Next time I go to the gym, I'm going to try this idea! Doesn't that look cool? That'll keep me going because it's competitive sounding!

I left the gym and went straight to the book store where I picked up Run Less, Run Faster, the book on the FIRST training program. Chia recommended looking into the program and from what I saw on Runner's World, it looked pretty interesting. Now the trick is to limit my runs to 3 days a week and actually do the cross training! Anyone tried this program?

In other news, there is a running section on the Wii Fit. It's pretty cool, you run on an interesting trail. Really all you need to move is your arms while holding the remote but of course I had to run in place too. I made a shocking discovery. I don't know how to run in place. It's sad really. I would be running along, all into the scenery and trying to catch up to all the other little Mii's when Wham! I'd hit the tv stand. And this happened more than once. Moron.

1 comment:

chia said...

LOL - you're so cute! I didn't realize how hard it was to run in place either until I tried ChiRunning. It really is a great way to focus on foot placement and form. That's how I found the "sweet spot" in my foot and conquered a lot of the aches and pains associated with "running while chubby." :-)

I don't know, as much as FIRST looks like a brilliant way to build up better endurance, strength, and speed I don't think I could cut running down to three days a week. Not when the weather is this kick-bum!