Pages

5.09.2008

Soggy 6 Miler

This morning I woke up to clouds and drizzle. I threw on my running clothes anyway in the hopes that by the time I dropped Quinn off at preschool, it would blow over. On the way to school, Quinn noticed my attire and said "You goin' runnin' or somphin?" so when I said I was trying to decide about running outside or on the treadmill he said "We will play in the rainy day room today so I think you should just go play at the gym!" Ah the wisdom of a 5-year-old. Unfortunately, I didn't listen. It was drizzling off and on all the way home but I made the assumption (I know, I know) that it was going to clear up so I headed out. My 6-mile run is a quick out and back route that I never vary, I'm kind of ocd-ish when it comes to my routes. On the way out, the drizzle stopped and it was just a little breezy. When I turned to head back, the rain started up again. Only this time, it wasn't a drizzle. It was a full on pouring down rain complete with blustering wind that was causing the rain to do that side-ways thing. It was kind of funny at first. Especially the looks I was getting as people drove by me, you know, that "you dumb ass" look. After about a mile, it was no longer funny and just down right miserable. Unfortunately, my route ocd was in full force and I just kept going intent on finishing the full 6 rather than taking a short cut. By the time I got home, I was soaked all the way through. A hot shower never felt so good! I may be totally nuts, but sometimes finishing a run in really nasty weather makes you feel like you accomplished something even bigger! I hope it's nicer on Sunday for my long run though!

1 comment:

chia said...

I love my anally retentive ocd runs too. I'm so allergic to so many things blooming right now so my morning runs are really something that requires every motivational speech I can possibly give myself. Shortcuts are never an option... go the path ;-).

You so rock. Thanks for your kind comments earlier as well :-). Good luck on the weather!