Pages

5.13.2008

Bang! Head Hitting Wall. Bang!

Why is getting information so damn difficult?
In an effort to get a bit organized, I'm trying to figure out how far my hotel is from the starting point of the race. The race starts at 7:00am which means I'll need to be there at.....um....I have no idea but I'm pretty sure my kids wont be up and ready to go when I need to leave which means getting to the starting line is up to me. So. I called my hotel (the Holiday-Inn Fredericksburg-North if I have anyone out there has any idea...) and said "Hi. I'm coming down for the half marathon and wanted to find out how far you are from the Convention Center." Silence. "The wha?", she says. So, slower this time, I say, "The convention center. You know, the starting point of the half marathon. How far are you from there?" Long pause, then, "The Fredericksburg Convention Center?" OMG OMG OMG. I'm going to freak. So as sweet and patient as I can, I say, "Yessiree, the Fredericksburg Convention Center. That is where the Marine Corps Half Marathon is starting from. On Sunday. This weekend." How, how, how does she not know this?? So she says, "Oh. Um. Well, we are about 3 miles. Or 4. 3 or 4 miles from there." Being a big fan of repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall, I ask, "Do you all have a shuttle running on Sunday morning to the convention center?" Pause. "Um. No." Seriously. Who let her do the talking for the freaking Holiday-Inn??
I'm trying to remain calm.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

I feel your pain. The good news is that there will be no traffic on Sunday at the crack of dawn when you have to get from the hotel to the start. Just don't ask the front desk staff for directions.
Are you getting excited?!

P.O.M. said...

Taxi it! It will be worth it.

You're going to do great. You've been training and working so hard to get here!

Topher said...

according to your countdown meter, they have 4 days 14 hours and a few minutes to figure it out. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Idjits!

And they say they are customer service!

Good luck, you're ready. Don't sweat the small stuff. Just go and run!!!

Bring Advil!!!

Linda

cjamern said...

From your hotel, get on 95S and Take exit 130B for VA-3 W toward Culpeper...then immediate RIGHT into Central Park (Carl D. silver Parkway) and follow that straight to the Expo Center (about 6 miles from your hotel. You'll see a Sheetz on the corner and the Expo Center is just down the road from there. I live in Fredericksburg and most of us are parking somewhere near the Walmart (you'll see on your Left). Or near VA Runner (to your Right next to Carrabas). It's a short jog over the the Expo Center from there. Good luck at the race! I'll see you out there! I hope this helps! :)