Pages

4.05.2008

Weekend Long Run, Check. Advice Needed!

I decided to get my long run out of the way early this morning so I would be done with it. I probably ran too far but I was feeling really good and found a nice steady pace (finished in 1:28) that was working for me. I ran 10 miles, 3 more than my long run last week and I know, I know....that is too big of a jump. I should have stopped at 8 like I planned but I think since I was so nice and patient this week and stuck with the 3 shorter runs of 4/5/4, I had a bit of pent up energy! I'm going to stick with the same routine this week with the 4/5/4 then go with a long run on the weekend again. It seems to be working for me and I like the consistency of it.
Question: I am not sure where to go from here. I'm a little over a month away from the half marathon and I'm wondering if I should be bumping up the short weekly runs in addition to my weekend long run. In other words, should I go up to 5/6/5 for my weekly runs?

3 comments:

Kristina said...

Someone else might advise you differently, but I never waver from my 4/5/4 system. I only ever increase the mileage for the long runs. I suppose it would depend on what your time goals are for the half; my goals are always fairly conservative. That's my two cents! You're doing great! Keep up the good work. Wish you were closer to Richmond; I'm visiting there next week and we could run our 10-milers together!

renae said...

Thanks Kristina - this is exactly what I was hoping for because it's so hard to find the time to do anything longer than 4 or 5 miles during the week.
That would have been fantastic! Enjoy your trip!

marathon mom said...

I am with Kristina- no matter what I am training for, I do 5/5/5 during the week, and tinker with the weekend runs. For one marathon we did 5/8/5 during the week, but I felt no better or worse than when I trained for 1/2 or full marathons doing 5/5/5. I was supposed to do the Marine Corps Half, but traded my entry for one in the National 1/2, my husband has to travel the weekend of the Marine Corps. Good luck!!