I can't believe it's time to set the clocks ahead an hour this weekend. That must mean spring is upon us! Which also must mean it's time to get serious about the training! I've been running and doing some cross training, but it's easy to put the spring schedule in the back of your mind when the weather is crappy, the days are short and the couch is so much more comfortable.
I got back on the bandwagon last night with a great upper body workout followed by some core work on the stability ball with the medicine ball which, and this may make me a freak, I really love. There is something about the combination of the stability ball and medicine ball that makes you feel like you are doing so much more and getting results so much quicker. I did a bunch of step-ups too which I hate. But anyway.
Then today, in trying to stick with the 3-short runs, 1-long run per week plan, ran 5 miles on the treadmill. I'll admit that it was really hard for me to stop because I'm so used to pushing myself assuming that I wont get another run in for a few days. I ran 8 on Sunday so I'm going to try and get 2 more shorts in this week and then up my weekend to 9 on either Saturday or Sunday.
And what makes me really feel like I'm back on schedule wasn't the stuff last night or the run today, it's the smoothie I made after the run. Last summer, I'd always reward myself with a homemade smoothie after my runs. I made one today and forgot just how much I love them!
My recipe is simple but really delicious!
1 6-ounce container Light & Fit Vanilla Yogurt (60 cals, 7g sugar, 5g protein)
1 banana
4 strawberries
splash of milk
1 small squeeze of honey
ice
Yum! I'm no nutritionist so if someone thinks this is a bad idea, let me know, but other than the natural sugars from the strawberries and the fact that bananas can be high in calories, I don't see how this can be a bad thing. I should probably be eating a chicken sandwich on whole grain bread with veggies, but hey, it's still breakfast time!
It feels good to be excited about the upcoming spring schedule - obviously the half marathon is the biggie, but there are so many great races out there that I wasn't even aware of last year. I'm trying to get myself organized today then I'll have my calendar complete.
No comments:
Post a Comment