Pages

2.10.2008

9 on the 9th Results!



Well, I didn't get to run yesterday because general family stuff got in the way so I'm going to post my 9 miles from the 8th as my official race results!
It was a pretty uneventful run because it took place on the treadmill (yawn) at my neighborhood gym so not much to report. Around mile 4, Thumper made an appearance on the treadmill next to me. I know the drill now so I tried to turn off my peripheral vision and turned up my iPod until she left (she is beyond distracting though). A woman showed up and got on the elliptical machine on the other side of me and I could tell she was looking at me so I looked over at her and smiled. She had a look of pure disgust on her face, got off the machine and got on a different one, further away. This was around mile 7.5. When I finished, I stopped in the bathroom and when I saw myself in the mirror, I understood why she did that. I looked awful. Completely soaking wet, (that gym is unbelievably hot!) hair all wacked out, face bright red. I looked like a nut. I still think it's pretty funny though that she wouldn't work out next to me. She was that type that wears the pretty matching sweat suit, hair in a perfect pony tail and she even had her sunglasses up on her head. Oh, and nice makeup too. I wear the same old running shorts every time, throw on whatever t-shirt is next in the pile and my hair is too short for a pony tail so I wear this funny band thing that keeps it out of my face but typically what ends up happening is that it starts puffing out in the back and standing up every which way on the sides. Oh yeah, I'm hot like that. So that's about it. Nothing exciting, just a nice run.
Thanks again to Nancy for organizing this event!! These virtual races are such good motivation!!

12 comments:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

. Thump thump thump!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I read the thumper post--LOLOL that was funny.

Congrats on ur 9 and ur awesome pace!!!

Next time after an intense treadmill workout forget about the smile just give that person a HUGE HUG & a big wet kiss on the check to smudge her makeup and say

" ahhhh it's such a wonderful day" lol now that is some good blog material, ur welcome :-)

The gym is a funny place, I think people come there to look at themselves in the mirror.

Nancy said...

That's pretty harsh, looking at someone and then moving away. I wish I could have seen you! It sounds so funny. I LOVED Bob's idea, she totally needed a hug to brighten her day!!! ha ha

Thanks so much for running with us. It's so great to get all this participation. Hope you enjoyed it. Look for a full race report sometime on Monday.

XOXO

Kristina said...

Rock on! Nice work with your great pace.

Ms. V. said...

Renae, thanks for your comment on my blog. I just edited the comment after spending the morning on the Runner's World Site.

You can click on my post again, and see an example of my workout and pace. I like RW much much better!!!

Ms. V. said...

PS-You're supposed to sweat at the gym...what was she thinking???

Liking your blog! Not a SAHM, but two boys too...

audgepodge said...

I'm with you - I go to the gym to get a good workout. And yes, I've had those moments where I get a glimpse of myself in the mirror and think, YIKES! But I don't understand the ones that get all pretty with cute hair, cute outfit, and make-up to boot - ridiculous!

chia said...

Ahh, gym bunnies. Annoy the daylights outta me :-).

Brilliant run, congrats!

Mark said...

Cool stuff. A runner and a Mac fan. Gotta like that. :)

Bob A said...

You make my heroes' list -- anyone who can do 9 miles on a treadmill is just awesome. I only do the treadmill when the weather is awful.

My wife, however, goes to the Y regularly and she talks about a "Thumper". It drives her nuts.

RunToTheFinish said...

I had to suck it up on the mill too and seriously I know I'm all sweaty, isn't that a sign I'm doing things right? But people really do look at you like "what is wrong with you, get off that treadmill".

Funny how people next to you can motivate you or not.

Database Diva said...

The Thumper story was very funny. I have friends that run marathons without messing up their hair or smearing their lipstick. They look fabulous in every photo. I always look like I just crawled out of bed and threw on whatever was laying on the floor (there could be some truth to this). But no matter how bad I look after a hard run, I nearly always smell worse! I wouldn't blame anyone for moving away from me!

I see you run with Nike+. Me too. Are you a challenge addict? I was in over 50 for a while last year, but have been trying to cut back.

renae said...

I'm so glad so many of you agree with me with regard to the workout beauty queen! I mean, seriously, what the hell!

Nancy - I had a great time!!! And it was just the motivation I needed!

Kristina - thanks girl, but you were a freaking rockstar with your run!!!

Database Diva - I'm actually in my very first challenge right now! Holy cow is that addicting!!! I don't know many people who use the Nike + but I'd love to find more so I can do more challenges. It's pretty motivating!