Pages

2.12.2008

Running For My Sanity

I have been stuck on the couch with a sick 4-year-old glued to me for 3 days now. Fortunately for me, my husband works out of the house so today, I begged him to take a long lunch so I could hit the gym for a quick run. I haven't run since Friday and was feeling the stress of a having a sick kid and being stuck in the house and seriously was ready to explode. Either he felt sorry for me or was terrified at my look of desperation (and it's also possible that I've been a bit of a bitch due to the stress....but I seriously doubt it!) because he happily took my spot on the couch at noon and off I went. I had 1 hour. One glorious hour out of the house! Allowing for the drive up and back, I decided to run for 45 minutes. I jumped on, cranked up the speed, put my head down and just ran. Within 5 minutes, I had forgotten about the fever, the snot, the coughing and the couch and was feeling so much better. Before I knew it, 46 minutes had gone by and it was time to go. But now that I'm back home and have 5 strong miles in, I'm in a much better place to hang out with Quinn. My patience is back and I'm no longer growling. Thank goodness I found running otherwise I'd be a total nut case.

4 comments:

Old School Runner said...

Without the kindness of my wife, I would be in the same boat! Each Sunday she gives me a couple of hours to drive out to the C&O Canal for a long run.

Running In Oz said...

The recharge-your-batteries power of running can be amazing. Glad you were able to get out there. Hope everybody feels better soon.

RunnerGirl said...

Glad you were able to get out and run, its a life saver sometimes. Whenever I get in a really bad mood my hubby asks me if I "need to go for a run or something".

Christine said...

Running is my therapy!! And then life is my therapy from running. Its a weird balance...but it keeps me sane! haha. Great job on 9 on the 9th