Pages

12.03.2007

Slow Saturday

I got back out for a run on Saturday. The plan was for a 'short' run of 5 or 6 miles. It was really windy and cold so I kept putting it off until finally around 1:30, I couldn't delay it any longer. I put approximately 900 layers on and some really thick gloves and headed out. Only a half mile away from the house, I already knew it was going to be a hard run. I can deal with the cold but the wind is something different. Something about trying to run into the wind just gets me cranky. Also, those 900 layers were backfiring big time. My upper body was bulked up by about 10 pounds with all those layers and I was beyond uncomfortable. I took off my gloves but had no pockets so I had to carry them. I tried to roll up my sleeves, but had so many sleeves, it was impossible. So I bitched and moaned and tried to keep going. Also, my legs were burning a bit very quickly and I can only assume they were letting me know that only 48 hours had passed since my longest run to date and thus, they were not at all happy about being out here again or about the fact that I had chosen a hilly route. I soldiered on and then the worst thing ever happened. At mile 3.9, I had to stop. I was hot, having a hard time breathing and for some reason, felt kind of dizzy. Normally, I would push through but the dizzy feeling was kind of freaking me out so I stopped and walked. I walked from mile 3.9 to mile 4.1 then started up again. I felt instantly better and re-energized which was great. This is the first time I've ever had that happen after a stop. Normally, I can't get myself going again no matter what. I ran on and managed to get 5 miles in before calling it a day. I walked in the front door and immediately began peeling off layers. Carter, sitting on the floor surrounded by legos, looked at me and very matter-of-fact said "So. I see you have a lot of clothes on today." so I say "You got that right. And I don't think it was such a good idea." so he says "I think maybe you have on too many because you look kinda heavy." If only he had told me that before I left.

Yesterday I didn't run which would make today a running day. But guess what? It's not. It is very windy today so I decided to skip it. I know, nice dedication. I think winter has officially arrived which is fine, I can deal, but this wind! Seriously! Hopefully tomorrow.

No comments: