Pages

12.13.2007

Long Run Hangover

I was incredibly sore yesterday. I mean, to the point that it had me thinking back to those just starting out days last April. I can't figure this one out. I mean, why why why am I feeling that horrible after a 9.1 mile run? I feel like I've been at this a while and have been adding miles slowly so what the hell? I'm happy that I can handle the runs in a 'cardio is fun!' kind of way but I was really hoping that the leg strength would have improved greatly by now. When I was running yesterday, I had to keep talking my legs into carrying me along. I fell into bed last night and this morning, had to lift my legs out of the bed. Totally pathetic. I shuffled out to the kitchen for what I have dubbed 'Renae's Breakfast of Champions':



After several cups of coffee and 4 Advil, my mood lifted but only slightly. That was at 6:15 this morning but now, at 1:00 in the afternoon and after several laps at the mall Christmas shopping, I'm feeling 100% normal and like I could go for a run this afternoon, not that I have any intention of doing so. But still, what the hell? I think I need to seriously get back into my strength training (yes, yes....I've mentioned this before but this time I mean it!) and I need to add some hill running into my workout. I know of the perfect hill. When I took the boot camp that started this crazy ride, there was a huge hill that our instructor-drill-Sergeant-dude called Goliath. He had us run up, walk down, walk up, run down, run up sideways, walk down, walk up backward, sprint down, etc, etc, etc until we all cursed that hill for days after. But it worked. Aside from the sprained ankle I suffered from Goliath, it really worked. So. I think I'll have to find time to drive over there and visit the hill, maybe that will help. Sure wish I had made this grand decision when it was warm out though.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

no Carters in my family, but I think we have the same counters: http://flickr.com/photos/olivepress/330278660/in/set-72157594193943915/
sorry to hear about your aching bones; I read that coffee is indeed an anti-inflammatory, so drink up!

Kristina said...

bugger. I don't know html. sorry the link was funky, but trust me, i know that granite.

Paul said...

First, nice job on the 9.1 miler. Once you work up to 13.1 in a training run you will have no fear of the half marathon.

Second, at the risk of invalidating your blog title, be careful with the Advil. Besides the risk of GI bleeding from frequent use there are a ton of articles that support the fact that inflammation is part of the healing process and that process is impeded by anti-inflammatories like Advil. Many of the articles are super-technical but this one explains the function of inflammation pretty well for the rest of us:

Ibuprofen

Search on the words: healing inflammation ibuprofen, together for more.

J said...

I've heard the same thing that Paul said about the Advil. It slows down your recovery as well. I try to limit my intake to when I REALLY REALLY need it.

If you get back to your strength training, that might help out your legs! Well, at first they may be sore, but eventually they will help you out on your runs.

renae said...

Thanks guys! And I promise, I don't over-do the Advil. It's my go to only when I can't walk to my fridge! I've headed down the over-use of Advil in the past and now know better!