I came pretty close to throwing Quinn into his classroom this morning so I could get my run in. It was 55 degrees by then so I was really excited to get going. I left the car in the parking lot of his preschool and headed out. I ran an out and back route and got 9.1 miles in in 1 hour, 20 minutes and 54 seconds....not that I'm counting or anything. The worst part of the run was the last .75 of it. The path runs out at that point so I was running on a very loose gravel surface, up hill. It seemed to go on and on forever.
Some things I saw on my journey today:
1. A man that looked exactly like Forrest Gump, the scruffy running years. I know, weird, right? After giving Gump a shout out earlier today, it totally sounds like I'm making this up, but I swear it's true. He was wearing a flannel shirt, scruffy jeans, had an old dirty baseball hat on and a really long nasty looking beard. At first, I couldn't get over the coincidence and was having a little internal chuckle but then I thought to myself: scruffy. kinda scary. has a dog the size of a horse with him. I'm in the woods. And that's where I did my 'speed training' and got the hell out of there.
2. As mentioned, a dog the size of a horse. The Gump-man was no small dude and that dog came up to his waist. Huge.
3. Barf on the bridge. Some poor sap lost his lunch right in the middle of a bridge I had to cross and being this was an out and back route, I got to pass it twice. Nice.
4. Loudoun County power workers: tons. I lost count after 10. There were small groups of them at different points along the path doing various power guy duties such as digging, spraying lines in the grass and across the path, jackhammering and ass scratching. No big deal except that I had to go off-path several times to get around them and at one point, I jumped over this little dip in the side of the path and felt a nasty pain in the front of my right knee. That pain is still screaming out at me so I'm kinda pissed at the power worker guys.
5. A sock. One sock. How does this happen?
6. Dog poop: more than I care to say since I've already talked about barf.
So like I say, nothing too exciting. I'm happy with the run, happy I got it in. Next week, a major milestone: going for 10 miles! We are supposed to get some nasty weather this weekend so that may force me inside next week but I'm ready for it. I've got my Colin Cowherd podcasts loaded on the iPod ready and waiting for my next fight with the treadmill.
2 comments:
your son's name is Quinn? That's Henry's middle name (and part of his first name when he's in trouble). Spooky. Btw, you know that when you hit 10 miles, the running community requires you to go get a massage, right? Better make your appointment now.
Sounds like it was the perfect opportunity for speed work. Running away from the creepy guy.
Good luck on your 10 miles! I just had mine on Saturday, my first 10 miles ever!
Post a Comment