Pages

8.01.2012

Closet Re-Do

Project time.  My husband tends to get a bit antsy when he doesn't have a project.  I bitch and moan about our master bedroom closet on a regular basis so I shouldn't have been surprised when he announced last week that he was going to completely redo the sucka.  Our closet, while a decent size (although would be better if all his shit manly garments weren't in it), only has the standard builder one shelf deal all the way around.  A long time ago I bought one of those double closet rods which I thought was the best invention ever for about two weeks.  It's cool and all but I am still totally unorganized and need more help than this little rod is giving.  I also put a dresser in there which is overflowing with workout clothes so much that finding a sports bra is like going on an architectural dig.

My husband sketched out "The Plan" and off he went to Home Depot.  My garage is now full of shelves and bars and racks and hardware.  Then he immediately went out of town.  Huh.  The good news is that has given me until tomorrow night to go through all my stuff in preparation for the big demolition.
Mid-way through the clean out.
Some survivors!

I am convinced that I never have anything to wear.  Because of that, I spend way to much time in places like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Target and the nearby outlets.  If I had to guess, I'd say I don't wear 80% of what is in my closet but I bet I'm way off and it's closer to 98%.  I decided that this closet re-do was a big smack in the face/ wake your ass up and donate at least half of my clothes mission.  In an odd coincidence, the same day that I was going to start purging, I read about the Stylebook app on a blog.  Woah.  This app is seriously some Jettsonion shit!  Basically you take a photo of everything in your closet, organize in the app then make outfits or 'looks' as the app calls them.  I'm in!  I downloaded that sucker and went to work!  Have I mentioned that my gym and run schedule has been non-existent with the kids being home for summer?  This clearly isn't a good thing.

So far, things have been going really well.  At first I was taking pictures of stuff I knew I wanted to keep but that got a wee bit tedious and when putting outfits together in the app, I just didn't get the full effect.  So instead, I have been putting together outfits as I discover new clothes (Haven't seen this shirt in ages! and Wow! This still has the price tag on it!) and then taking a picture of myself in said outfit and saving it under the 'inspiration' tab. The picture I've posted is actually a really bad example because I wouldn't wear those shoes with that outfit because the tank and sweater are charcoal grey and the sandals are brown.  I was just trying to get an idea of those pants with a wedge heel, blah, blah, blah.  I have posted it because of my little helper in the background.  Thank you for taking the time to sniff and lick at this particular moment.  I think I have a future as a fashion blogger.

Better Murphy although still totally in the way.
Things are still a total disaster in there but I have made major progress.  I have filled 3 1/2 large lawn bags full of clothes.  Totally streamlining baby!  I put together a bunch of outfits I never would have thought of before because stuff has been so buried in the closet.

I have extremely high hopes that this is going to turn me into one of those women that always look put together when at school volunteering.  A girl can dream.

No comments: