Pages

8.10.2012

Awesome Workout Combo!

After yesterday's rest day hangover day, I felt particularly motivated to get my workout on this morning.  Nothing like sitting on the couch shoving carbs in your face all day to get a girl moving!  After downing my big 24oz cup of water, my TIU Meta-D and a mug of green tea, I decided to try the Sunrise Circuit Workout from Peanut Butter Fingers.  Side note: you really should follow her on Pinterest because she posts some awesome workout ideas!  The circuit looked innocent enough by I have to say, once I finished, my legs were shaking big time!  I did the workout exactly as instructed.  The only change I made was for the jump rope portion.  I don't have a jump rope so I did the air jump rope move.  I really liked this circuit.  It's quick (only took me about 13 minutes) but very effective.

After that, I made a smoothie for breakfast.  Check out the purple gorgeousness!

In it is 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder (I used this which I love), 1/2 frozen banana, handful of blueberries and some ice.

After getting my older son off to camp and doing some mom-chores, I hit the treadmill.  I haven't gotten the sprint challenge in since Tuesday so I really wanted to include that in my day; I'm obviously not going to get all five done this week, stupid wine.  I decided to combine the sprints challenge from Sweaty Beatties with the Tone it Up in 30:00 workout that the TIU girls sent out on Tuesday.  Their workout calls for 8 minutes of cardio followed by five strength moves for 60 seconds each, a 2 minute sprint then repeat (total workout to be done 3 times).  I chose to do the sprints challenge first then tack on the TIU in 30:00 workout.  I warmed up for 3 minutes at 6.8, did my 5 30-second sprints at 9.4 with a 45 second rest in between. Now for the second workout.  I dropped the speed down to 7.0 and ran for 8 minutes then did the strength moves.  After three rounds, I was seating like mad, huffing and puffing like a 3-pack a day smoker and ready to be done! This was a killer combination.  Both workouts took me about 40 minutes total.  Of that, 24 minutes were spent running for a total of 3 miles.  I really need to be running more miles but workouts like this just feel so much more effective to me.  I'm always short on time - my younger son was upstairs while I got this in - so what time I do have, I really want to get the most of it.  Once they are back in school, I'll start working on upping my mileage.  Until then, I'm loving these interval workouts!

I was starving after my workout.  Lunch was a giant green salad along with a piece of toast smeared with hummus and a few slices of avocado.  I had a handful of nuts as well.

The toast with hummus and avocado has got to be one of my favorite things.  So simple but oh so good!  Now I have to vacuum the house.  Does that count as a third workout of the day?  I say yes!


No comments: