Pages

2.05.2012

Superbowl Sunday Eats!

Needless to say, I'm not out doing a long run today.  One of the things that I do not miss in the least about training for a full or half marathon is spending my Saturdays prepping (resting, worrying about food and hydration) for long run Sunday and spending my Sunday waking up at the crack of dawn, running in the freezing cold then spending the rest of the day in recovery mode.  Not that it doesn't feel damn good finishing a nice long run, it really, really does but so does chilling with the Sunday paper, a cup of tea followed by a massive green smoothie and time with my family.

And speaking of Saturday, yesterday I had to run to the mall for my all time favorite Clinique facial soap (kinda wish I could pick it up at the drug store, but oh well, it's so worth the trip) and as I was zipping past the food court, I noticed a kiosk for Sweetz Bakery.  They have gluten free, dairy free, AND vegan cupcakes.....holla!!!  Unfortunately, you could either get gluten free, dairy free OR vegan.  Why can't they do GF, DF and vegan in the same cupcake?  Weird.  Because I know for a fact that my stomach does not handle dairy, I decided to go with the double chocolate GF, DF instead of vegan.  And yes, I felt guilty knowing that there were eggs in my cupcake.  So why did I even bother?  Because I am always interested in trying new gluten free products especially those not containing dairy. 

I was shocked, totally, completely shocked at how good it was!  I'm kind of glad that I can't get GF, DF and vegan in the same cupcake or I'd be buying them by the bus load!

Today is even more fun because it's Superbowl Sunday - woot!  Not that I have care about either team....my poor Redskins are home watching on t.v....again, but I love, love, love the Superbowl and all the obnoxious hype that goes along with it. 

My husband had to leave for a business trip today so our normal Superbowl party had to get canned.  It's just me and my two boys.  We hit Harris Teeter for game day treats - loads of crunchy carbs for them (it's the Superbowl, I may have spoiled them a bit) and veggies for me.  Today I'm going to try my first recipe out of my newest cookbook, Cooking with Trader Joe's: Skinny Dish.  The book is filled with beautiful vegan eats and I have a ton marked to try.

I decided to keep it simple today and go with the Creamy Spinach Artichoke Dip.  I've got my spinach all thawed and the rest of the ingredients prepped and ready to go. 

The recipe says you can serve it cold but I prefer my spinach artichoke dip hot so I'm going to bake it for 25 minutes or so.  This is my first attempt at a vegan spinach artichoke dip so my fingers are crossed!  I've got a bunch of cut up veggies to go with it along side millet and flax crackers.  Bring on game time!  Later I'm going to have a roasted veggie filled quesadilla (my all time favorite food) and make the boys pasta.  Now this is what I call an easy Sunday!

No comments: