Pages

1.24.2012

Pre-Race Jitters

So once again, I'm a bundle of nerves during race week.  I'm running the 3M Half Marathon in Austin, TX this Sunday and while I'm super excited, I'm also freaking out a bit.  The last time I raced was The Richmond Half Marathon in November.  That race was my first since Boston last April so I went into it insanely nervous.  I hadn't raced in a long time, I didn't feel like my training had been at the level it should have been and to be perfectly honest, I was terrified of embarrassing myself.

It seems that qualifying for Boston is both a blessing and a curse.  Once you do, you feel like you can do anything which is a good thing.  But so does everyone around you which can be a bit daunting.  Everyone automatically thinks you are a Kenyan and can run like the wind.  I like to think I can get speedy with proper training but I'm certainly not born with a gift.  It takes work.  Lots of consistent work.  So when I don't put that work in, I panic.  Such was the case for Richmond.  I was sure I was going to bonk.  Turns out, it was fine.  Once I got started, the nerves vanished and I just ran.  I had a really great experience with friends and felt like, "Ok, I can do this. I can start racing again."

I signed up for Austin because my husband is there for business this week and wanted me to come spend the weekend.  As most runners do, the first thing I did was check for any possible races during that weekend....I know, I'm quite the romantic.  I was very excited to see that the 3M Half was happening on the same weekend so immediately signed up.

Training has been going really well, I felt 100% prepared until two weeks ago when after taking a step class, I felt a funky twinge in my right hamstring.  Actually, I think it's more lower glute than hamstring because it's up pretty high and doesn't travel down my leg, rather side to side.  I went on a group run of 12.5 miles on the 15th and all was well but starting around mile 6, I could feel it slowly creeping in.  I finished fine and it just felt like a mild annoyance more than anything else so I didn't give it much thought.  Oh, and as usual, I didn't stretch.  When am I going to learn how important it is to stretch??  The next morning, it was killing me.  I'm talking, limping around the house killing me.

The next week (last week), I didn't run at all.  Not a single mile.  I went to Body Pump once but that was it.  I rested it as best I could.  Then on Sunday, I decided to give it a try.  Hopped on the treadmill and made it to 4.5 before it started hurting again.  I stopped at 5 miles and worried.  And worried, and worried.  Yesterday morning, it seemed ok so like a moron, I decided to test it again.  I ran 6 miles yesterday and again, starting at the 4-5 mile mark it started talking to me.  Now this morning, it's quite sore.  I was hobbling to the bus stop with my son and seriously ready to cry.  What the hell?!  Obviously I'm going to rest it today and see how I feel tomorrow but I have no idea what to do.

Maybe I should just forget about the race - I don't mean not run it, I mean just go and try and "enjoy the experience" (ugh) - and instead, think about how much fun it will be to have a weekend away with my husband.  No kids! No dog! No toilets to clean!!!  I'm trying to see that glass as half full!

No comments: