The last year of my life (actually more if you count all the training for the Delaware Marathon I did just to get into Boston!) has been nothing but eat, sleep, breath Boston. When you spend basically all of your waking hours focusing on one goal, once that goal is achieved, it kind of puts you in a daze.
For the last six months, I've been talking about how the Boston Marathon was going to be my last hurrah in the marathon world. I was going to achieve my goal, go home and sleep. That hasn't changed, I still have no desire to run another marathon but I'm certainly not going to quit running.
In my opinion, in order to run a marathon, you not only have to train your body but, and I think this part is just as big if not bigger, you have to have the desire. Marathon training is hard. And time consuming. And if you are a mom, you have to have a really great support system at home to allow for all those long Sunday runs not to mention weekly training. Desire is the portion I just don't have anymore. I need a break from it all. Need to explore other outlets and not have to carry a training spreadsheet around with me 24/7. Of course, never say never. I may get that desire back and if I do, I'll happily get back into it but for now, I'm happy to focus on other things.
First up, tennis! Yes! Tennis! For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to learn how to play tennis. We get the course booklet from the local rec center in the mail and every single time, I'd look up the tennis lessons, think about it for about 45 seconds then decide against it because of marathon training. Well! When I got the booklet about a month before Boston, found the 'Adult Beginner Tennis' class started exactly one month post-Boston and that the last lesson was the last day of school for my kids, I got down right giddy and signed up immediately. I'm really, really excited to try something new. I have a feeling I'll be a pretty crappy tennis player but it should provide for many good laughs. Lessons start at Ida Lee Rec Center in Leesburg (in the indoor bubble....SO professional like!) on May 19th.
Next, half marathon training. My half marathon PR is a 1:45:16. I ran that last year (Suntrust National Half in D.C.) when I was training for the Delaware Marathon. Bill and I ran it together and it was all about pacing/simulating the first half of Delaware. I'd like to work on that time and see what I could do if I focus solely on the half marathon. I'd love to get it down to a 1:35. I've shared that goal with my trainer/friend who helped me achieve my BQ and he is totally on board. Yes, it's going to take a lot of training but it will involve more speed and less distance which works great for me right now. I miss Sunday's with my family. Crap. And I just said it out loud here so that means I better get my ass moving!
And last, I'd really love to give trail running a try. Any time I've done cross country races, I've loved them so I feel like trail running is the next step. I'm completely ignorant when it comes to trail running and I don't know anyone who does it - we are all pavement pounders - so this one is going to take some time but I'm excited to give it a shot. There is a race this summer that I think I'm going to sign up for. It's called Running Rocks in the Summer and it's local, only 3.5 miles north of Leesburg. There are two distances, a 4 mile or a 9+ mile run. I'd love to go for the 9+ (they are saying it is approximately 9.2 miles). Here is a short description of the course: "The course is made up of rolling hills with plenty of semi-technical challenges in the form of rocks, roots, log piles, and small ledges." Awesome!!! Sounds perfect, sign me up!
So there it is. Next chapter. I'm excited for new things, excited that I don't have to run 18+ miles this Sunday and excited to run just because I feel like running, not because I have a marathon in a month!
No comments:
Post a Comment