Pages

4.07.2011

Achilies Issues

I was so overly pleased about my lack of back/hip pain during and after my 21 miler on last Monday that I chose to ignore the fact that my right Achilles has been acting up.  About three weeks ago, I felt a bit of a soreness during a run.  At the time, I thought my shoe was rubbing weird because I was wearing shorter socks than I normally do.  The next day, it was still bothering me, but not in a way that concerned me.  That day, I ran again and after the run, it got very puffy.  And red.  Like a dark almost bruised red.  Since then, it's been bugging me and after every run, it's the puffy, red nastiness for a day after.  Also, and this is really hard to explain, but it's tight.  Really, really tight.  Like if I move my foot up and down, I can actually feel a pulling.  It's pretty creepy actually.  I kicked around the idea of going back to the podiatrist but honestly, what's he going to say?  Rest it for a month.  Yeah.  Not an option.  Fortunately, I'm tapering so it has more time to heal and I'm hoping it will make a big difference.  On Monday, it hurt from step one during my 12-miler and I was hobbling around pretty good after.  Then on Wednesday, I went to a Yoga class - I know, I swore I wasn't going to do anything but run until after Boston but I honestly thought a good stretch out would do my mind and body some good - and holy crap did it make things worse!  I called the podiatrist and made an appointment for Monday.  Crap crap crap crap.  Hopefully, he will say it's tendinitis and with some down time AFTER the marathon, it will clear up.  I'm concerned he is going to tell me it's a partial tear or something crazy dramatic like that. 

In order to keep my mind off my Achilles, hips and sciatica, I have chosen to bake.  I found a really good gluten free brownie mix that is so incredibly fantastic, even my kids are eating it up. I know I should be working with gluten free flours and getting comfortable with baking with them but sometimes, you just want a brownie, like, now.  Pamela's Brownie Mix to the rescue!
I found this at Target and baked up a batch that very day.  Holy moly mother crap balls is it good!  Chewy, crazy chocolaty, with random chocolate chunks included good!  I can't rave about it enough.
Excuse the dark photo...I couldn't be bothered to take a proper photo apparently!

I really, really wish I had taken the time to take some decent pictures instead of stuffing my face because you really should see the moist, chocolate goodness that are these brownies.

There are several different prep options on the back of the package.  I chose the no egg, only oil (I used canola) and water method.  Also, the directions "1/2 cup chocolate chips optional"...um...ok!  I added mini chocolate chips and didn't regret it.  This will be a regular purchase for me!  Thank goodness for brownies or I'd be a big mess right about now.

No comments: