Pages

2.24.2011

Skipping the Gym...Again

I haven't been to the gym for my regular classes at all this week.  And I kind of have withdraw.  I miss Body Pump! And Combat! And Step!  And I'm 100% convinced that any muscles I have in my arms, back and abs are going to disappear due to my week away.  Clearly I have issues.  I haven't missed any of my scheduled runs though.  My problem is a nagging hamstring/glut pain that I can't quite shake.  I decided that the best thing to do would be to skip all classes in the hopes that it would help the pain but I don't feel like I can stop running because Boston is getting so close.  Unfortunately for me, getting out of bed this morning and walking to the bathroom was still enough to make me tear up because it's still here.  It's not as bad as it was at the end of last week, it loosens up much more quickly and it is more of a nagging issue (after walking around for a while) than a full on pain issue.  Today's schedule calls for a super easy 30 minute run which is a very good thing....I think.  I'm turning into quite the cranky woman and I think I really need my gym fix to snap out of it.  Hopefully next week I'll be able to go back.

Last night I went to P.F. Chang's with a friend.  I looked up the menu before we went and was happy to see that they offered quite a few Gluten Free options.  I know I've touched on my stomach problems in the past.  I've yet to do anything about it because to me, the idea of changing my entire way of eating is totally overwhelming.  Not to mention that I have the assumption that everything has gluten therefore, I'd be forced to survive on water and fruit.  Because of that, I decide that I don't have a gluten intolerance and that I simply (simply...ha!) have IBS.  And then the next day comes and I feel like crap for the first half of the day and then deal with heartburn the second half of the day and honestly, sometimes I just want to cry. 

Anyway, back to P.F. Changs and my point....I'm pretty sure I had one. 

I ordered the Buddha's Feast (without tofu) steamed with brown rice and a small side of the garlic spinach.  Basically, I got a big (like 3 people could eat it big) platter of steamed veggies, about a cup and a half of brown rice and a generous portion of spinach.  It was fantastic.  Although I had to doctor it up with some hot chili's.  My friend got some kind of noodle/chicken/sauce dish.  Now I've had meals out with people who get really nasty about what I order - like if I substitute fruit or veggies for fries - 'I can't believe you are ordering that!' 'Just get fries!' That kind of thing.  Last night, I actually felt guilty when I gave my order because my friend had already ordered and I didn't want (a) to get judged, or (b) make her feel bad (she already makes comments all the time about how she should workout and how I'm "so much healthier" than her and I don't know how to describe it other than it's like she feels bad or guilty which I hate.)  Sure enough, she made several comments during dinner.  "Look at you! All veggies!" and then she just picked at her plate and looked very unhappy.  Which made me unhappy.  I actually thought I should have ordered something double fried with a double order of white rice.  How do you deal with food guilt?

No comments: