Pages

11.10.2010

Marathon Rest Days Become All Out Hiatus

My post-marathon rest week was fantastic.  I really wanted to let my body do it's thing - heal up nicely - and not rush it.  My hips were horribly sore and my tendinitis was all tendony so I knew a week off was much needed.  I shopped! I had lunch with friends! I had coffee with friends! I shopped! I caught up on my shows! It was fantastic.  Until Thursday night when I started getting that itch to run. 

On Friday morning, I went to the gym to test everything out by getting on the treadmill and taking a Pilate's class.  I assumed I would do a run/walk for about 3 miles but was pleasantly surprised when I ran the entire time and managed to log 4 miles without too much discomfort.  It felt great to get moving again.  Pilate's was a bit tough though.  I wasn't quite ready for one leg balancing. 

Then on Saturday, I took Power Yoga for the first time.  I knew it was going to be a good class for me when I saw all the runners.  How did I know they were runners?  Well, there were more running shorts than tight yoga pants, quite a few garmins were spotted and several people kept looking at their watch like they were in a hurry - yup, runners.  It was a great class.  I'm going to try and attend as much as possible but unfortunately, it's only on Saturday mornings and since I do my long runs on Sunday mornings, I know I'll feel guilty if I'm out of the house two mornings in a row. 

After Saturday's class, I was really looking forward to Monday when I was going to get back to all my favorite classes and running.  Then my youngest got sick.  Yeah.  He had been fighting a cough for a few days during my off week but on Friday night he developed a fever.  This is now day 3 that I've had him home from school and I think my muscles have atrophied.  Seriously.  I'm not sure how much more of this I can take.  He is on antibiotics and is using a nebulizer for the cough and so far today (knock wood!) he hasn't had a fever so I'm hopeful that he will be headed back to school tomorrow. 

There is a Body Pump class tonight at 7:30 which I'm planning on attending and if my husband finishes work early enough, I'd like to get up there early and run.  Then tomorrow, I'm taking a new to me class called Xtreme Effects.  I like the sound of that.  It has sore glutes written all over it.  After that, I'm going to take step.  I know, I've said no less then 9 million times how much I hate step due to my lack of coordination but I'm trying again because I really want to get some different workouts in besides just running and pump.  I can already tell you what is going to happen.  I'm going to take all these classes and run and I'm going to be all gung ho about it to try and make up for lost time and end up being crazy sore.  But I don't care.  I'm a bloated, lazy mess and I'd rather be sore dammit!

1 comment:

kayan Association said...

Thank you for your wonderful blog