Pages

10.20.2010

I Am One of the Lucky Ones

The Boston Marathon sold out in 8 hours and 3 minutes on Monday.  8 hours and 3 minutes!!  I thought last year was fast at 9 weeks but 8:03?  Incredible.  Fortunately, I was on my computer at exactly 9:00am and only experienced a slight delay.  I had to submit about 10 times before it finally went through and was registered, with confirmation in my email box, in about 20 minutes.  My running partner Amy had a harder time and finally got in at 10:30.  But we are in!  IN! 
This is my most favorite email in the entire freaking world:



Boston Athletic Association

Dear Renae:

Your entry for the 115th Boston Marathon has been received, and your spot in the race has now been reserved, pending verification of your entry and qualifying information.

If those are not the most beautifully written words you've ever seen, I don't know what is.  It's like poetry.

I was on a high the rest of the day.  Only altered by the many tweets I read from runners who qualified but didn't get in due to the quick sell out.  I can't imagine how upset they are.  I am expecting to see a lot of pissed off runners at MCM next weekend - both those who already qualified but didn't get in and those who were hoping to use MCM as their qualifier.  The question now is what the heck is The Boston Marathon going to do?  Make qualifying harder?  Widen the field?  Open more waves?  I know one thing, I'm glad I'm going in 2011 because there is no telling what the requirements for 2012 are going to be!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Congratulations! Boston! Might be time to rename your blog! You're definitely well beyond a journey to 13.1. Way to go!

whois domain find said...

Thanks ..your topic beautiful ..... Good luck

Anonymous said...

same thing happened to me. i logged on right at 9am and it took forever to get through but finally registered. beantown 2011!