Pages

7.07.2010

Trying to Please Everyone IS Possible!

The other night, I was thinking about how hard it is to make a major lifestyle change when you are the only one in your family making that change.  My husband, while he isn't a couch potato, isn't the addicted to the gym and run every possible minute kind of freak that I am.  He also has no interest in changing the way he eats.  He is a meat and potatoes kind of guy and loves, loves, loves to go out to dinner and order things that sometimes make me cringe.  That's fine.  I don't have any desire to change him.  I do find, however, that the fact that he eats the way he does is making my switch to a mostly plant based diet rather difficult.  I feel guilty trying to put fish in front of him every night.  And while I'd be more then happy with a salad and some kind of rice or quinoa or cous cous, that isn't going to fly with him.   Then there are my boys.  My 10-year-old is about the pickiest eater ever.  He is a pasta man and would just assume eat it every night.  I have managed to sway him over to the fish side though.  He loves salmon which is great.  My 7-year-old is my husband's mini-me....he requests steak every night.  Anyway, back to dinner on Monday night.  We wanted to cook out so off to Wegmans I went.  Here is what I came home with:
1 steak (little kid)
1 chicken breast (husband had a burger the night before so he requested "white meat")
1 piece of salmon (me)
1 container of Wegmans' mac & cheese (big kid)
potato salad (husband - the more mayo, the better)
brown rice with veggies (me)
corn on the cob (big kid)
watermelon (little kid)
Seriously.  It's kind of insane.  I know I shouldn't treat my kitchen like a cafeteria and I should just put dinner down and in front of my kids and say, "This is dinner, eat it or go to bed hungry"....or at least that's what I've read and been told countless times.  But why?  I don't want my husband to declare every night steak or burger night and expect me to eat it.  I'd like for him to respect the fact that I want fish or just a vegetarian meal.  So why should I do that to my kids?  While it felt kind of crazy at first, bringing home all that food, it actually worked out really well.  My husband loves to grill and has no issue with me tossing 3 different things at him.  So maybe I've been making it too hard by simply thinking it's too hard.  No one in my family is rolling their eyes at me and telling me I'm being too difficult.  The kids ate every bite of their food, including some of my fish, and we all went to bed happy....and full.

No comments: