Pages

5.20.2009

To Join or Not to Join

I haven't blogged in a week! A full week! It is so unlike me to have nothing to say. I'm a big fan of talking and typically don't care if other people are bored enough to shove a stick in their eye, I just keep on talking. However, I've seriously had nothing to say! This week I got back on the spinning bandwagon and I guess it's just sucked the talking energy right outta me! I just got home from my second spin class of the week and since I refuse to spin on Friday's (Friday's are supposed to be fun!), I'm done with it until Monday. Don't get me wrong, I love spinning when I'm done with it - nothing makes you feel un-puffy like 45 minutes of spinning! - I just hate actually doing it.

I haven't done much running. On Saturday, my husband drove my kids to Quinn's soccer game at a close by school and I plotted a very round-about way to run there and got 5 miles in. Tuesday after my strength training class, I had a very productive, runners-high inducing 6.8 miler but that's been it. A couple of us are doing a last minute 10k (the Cascades 10k Firechase which means, hello, there will be firemen there. Oh yeah!) this weekend though so that'll end the week nicely.

Speaking of working out, I've gotten so used to my strength training classes and occasional spinning that I'm seriously starting to panic about this summer. My kids are out of school in 5 weeks and the rec center where I workout has no childcare. Well, let me re-phrase that, they don't have biggish-kid childcare. It's all babies and toddlers in a room the size of a closet. I went to Lifetime Fitness over the weekend for a tour and price check because I really don't want to give up my workouts. Holy freaking crap balls is that place nice. Like off the chain nice. I had my boys with me and their little jaws hit the floor when we walked in the child care room. Huge! Climbing structures! Computers! Videos! Full court basketball! Massive outside running/soccer/general mayhem area! Quinn wanted to stay and play basketball right then and there and Carter was wandering rather quickly towards the computers and muttering something about Club Penguin. Needless to say, our tour guide (a fairly slick guy who chuckled at the idea of working out at a local rec center) was thrilled with their reaction. They also have a fantastic rock climbing wall, indoor pool with a lap area as well as a big 'play' type pool with beach entrance, outdoor pool with a massive deck, beach entrance, two slides and a snack bar. Oh and they have a little cafe in the gym and just in case I'm having a bad hair day, a hair salon where I could also stop for a quick mani/pedi. Whew! The class schedule is endless. More opportunities than you can shake a sick at and they had no less than 200 treadmills. I swear, it was crazy. And don't get me started on all the other kid activities they have available, at an additional cost of course. Anyway, it's super nice and I'd love to try it but it just seems like a lot to spend. Even though I know my kids would dig it and we'd get a lot of use out of the pool this summer. As you can see, I'm very wish-washy about this decision. Anyone belong to Lifetime?

7 comments:

mommyrunsalot said...

I read your post and thought, Holy cow! I was just at Lifetime this morning with a friend (on a guest pass for a Pilates class cuz I, too, am merely a community center gym girl...) and just went ooh and aah; the kids' room was nice (very important qualification) and the whole place was just...sparkly and new and somehow people just looked fit by being there (could I be an easier target for the Lifetime membership person?!?!) The only thing that holds me back is the cost -- so, I'm not much help since I feel as if I'm in the same boat :) I'd be interested in hearing what you decide...

renae said...

Were you at the Sterling/Ashburn (no idea what that area is considered) location?? SO funny! Glad I'm not the only one feeling like an easy target!

RunnerDude said...

Great post! My new expression now is going to be "Holy freaking crap balls!" LOL!

mommyrunsalot said...

Yes! I was at the Sterling one -- we could have passed by each other! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just took a look at the Lifetime website. It looks like lifestyles of the rich and famous to me... Niiice! I don't think we have any of those here near me in San Diego.

You must be in great shape to do strength training and then follow it up with an almost 7 mile run! I'm impressed. :)

Hope you do continue to blog, since I always enjoy reading.

workout mommy said...

i used to teach at Lifetime and it really is the Lexus of gyms! If you use all the amenities (which sounds like you will), then I think it's worth it. Especially since you are faced with a summer of no childcare!

my two cents of advice though--don't get sucked into anything other than a membership. They work primarily on commission, so they will try to upsell you on everything under the sun.

Stacy Agosto said...

Hey there, I found your blog through a comment you left on makeuseof..pretty cool stuff and can't wait to read more. I saw your post and thought I might be able to help - I recently wrote a post on my blog about things to consider when joining a gym. If you are still on the fence you can check it out for some additional ideas.

moveurbody.com/things-to-consider-before-joining-a-gym/Good luck! I'd love to hear if you joined...