Yesterday I ran the Cascades 10k Firechase. It was hot. Really, really hot. I had forgotten just how hard it is to run, let alone try and run fast, in the heat. It was a double loop which had a couple of not so pleasant hills but it also had a massive firetruck spraying us down. I almost stopped right there during my second loop. I can't tell you how great it felt getting sprayed - literally soaked! - by that firetruck. I didn't feel like I had as good a day as I could have (49:39). I really need to get out in the heat for some runs to get used to it again. Speaking of running in the heat, the track workouts with my running group are going to be starting up again soon. We meet at the high school track every Thursday night for speed drills and it is hard. Like really, really hard. Last summer, I would start every Thursday morning with, "Crap. Speed day." but I went, every Thursday, and at the end of the workout, I was always so happy I went. Those workouts are run by a married couple that own the local running store I go to, Potomac River Running. They also happen to be pretty bad-ass runners. Ray Puglsey's name is a regular in winner circles as is his wife, Cathy. Ray won yesterday's 10k, Cathy came in second. If that doesn't keep me motivated to get to those speed workouts so I can hear advice from them, nothing will!
Now I can spend the rest of my weekend at BBQ's (started with one last night) and save another run for Monday. Hope you all are having a great holiday weekend!
3 comments:
what a perfect way to get cooled off during a run.(and i'm sure the firefighters had a great time hosing down the people!)
Oh how I miss the Potomac River Running store and their workouts! Cathy, Ray, and their entire staff is such a great source of motivation and inspiration.
have a great weekend!
That is still a good race you had. I always feel like I am getting severe shock whenever I get sprayed with cold water in the hot weather.
Hope you had a GREAT weekend!
I just found your blog....and am following you now! Thanks for the inspiration.
Post a Comment