
Today I had a pretty crappy run. I intended to run 6 today but only got 5 done. The problem started when I realized I was dressed way too warm for the weather. It was chilly this morning so I had on some thick pants, a short sleeve shirt and my Nike jacket. I ran some errands after putting Quinn on the bus then headed to the W&OD Trail. As soon as I got out of my car, I knew I was going to be super hot. I took off the jacket but 10 minutes in, I was burning up. The wind was pretty strong but it didn't seem to help much. My legs felt really tired and I felt like I was huffing and puffing so I cut the run short and quit after 5 miles. BUT! I can be a glass half full kind of gal! I'm looking at it like this: I haven't had a crappy run in a long time so I was due. And how perfect that it came on Wednesday before the half marathon! Yay! Got that out of the way! See? Totally positive thinking here. Oh! I saw some kind of crazy animal today on the trail! From far away, I thought it was a dog on the path but then as I got closer, I decided it was a large cat. Getting closer, I thought "ok, seriously large cat"....he started moving around all nutty like and then I was 100% positive that it was a massive beaver and 150% sure it was going to bite my ankles as I ran by. It waited until I got right up on it to scamper into the brush and honestly, I still have no clue what it was. It didn't have that beaver dude tail so I'm sure I was wrong on that guess but I know a cat when I see one and it wasn't that either! Gopher? Too small, um, I think...how big is a gopher? Ground hog?? Hmmm...possibly. I wish it was a duck billed platypus, I've always been fascinated with them. I'm such a city girl it isn't even funny.
I found out my bib number: 20762. That means I'm in the second wave of runners. According to my super-official-official-runner-handbook, there are approximately 2,500 runners in each pen. The first is starting at 9:45 then they will wait 5 minutes after them to start the second pen. So I should get going around noon. Kidding. But seriously, this get in a pen and wait like cattle thing is totally new to me. I hope I don't have to poop.
We are hitting the road for Baltimore Friday some time after lunch. I really can't wait to leave. I just want to get there. I might have my husband drive the route but I haven't decided for sure yet. I was going to do that in Fredericksburg but decided that it would make me too nervous so I didn't. In hindsight, I wish I had because I learned that I don't know how to properly read an elevation chart. Those little hills kicked my ass when they turned out to be big-freaking-mountains so it would be nice to be prepared. Who knows. I may just get a beer and go to bed.
I found out my bib number: 20762. That means I'm in the second wave of runners. According to my super-official-official-
We are hitting the road for Baltimore Friday some time after lunch. I really can't wait to leave. I just want to get there. I might have my husband drive the route but I haven't decided for sure yet. I was going to do that in Fredericksburg but decided that it would make me too nervous so I didn't. In hindsight, I wish I had because I learned that I don't know how to properly read an elevation chart. Those little hills kicked my ass when they turned out to be big-freaking-mountains so it would be nice to be prepared. Who knows. I may just get a beer and go to bed.
2 comments:
Yeah, I totally had one of those runs myself today. I dressed warm, stepped outside, and stripped down. The wind just wasn't helping the fact that I was pushing a stroller uphill, either. So my 6 turned into a 5, too. One of these days Mother Nature's going to be on our side and that wind will push us UP the hill. Ah....that'll be the day... Here's to VA autumn weather!
That picture made me laugh so hard, at my work desk!! Shame on you! Anyways, good call on the bad workout before the actual race, should only make the race that much better! Good luck, you will do great!
Post a Comment