I started this blog to record my journey from slacker to half marathoner and then to a Boston Marathon finisher. It has evolved greatly and now, for my next adventure, it will record my journey of starting a small business and of course all of my running and kitchen adventures!
8.19.2008
Trying Not to Punch Other People Can Be Hard.
Today I took my punks up to the pool to meet up with some other neighborhood moms and their punks. When it was time to break for lunch, we sat over by the volleyball courts so naturally, after they all ate, an impromptu game of volleyball started up. I made a comment that my kids were probably loving it because we've been watching so much Olympic coverage and they've seen a lot of volleyball. Anyway, a bit of Olympic talk started up and I may have been a wee bit more enthusiastic than the other women, but so far, no big deal. But then.....one of them said "I actually had to sit through 10 minutes of that women's marathon on Saturday night. I finally made my husband change the channel!" and another one chimes in with, "Oh I know! Seriously, who can watch that!?" Their attitude had me a bit steamed so I said, "I watched the entire thing and loved it! It was fantastic!" Insert cricket sound here. Then someone says "That woman who was winning, she wasn't even American; you still watched?" "What the F&*# does it matter where she is from??" No, I didn't really say that...what I said was, "It was actually thrilling. Did you know that she is a 38 year old mom? What an incredible accomplishment!" Then one of the cats says "Oh yes, well, you would like it. You are that running one." Oh. My. God. Please, someone hold me back. I honestly don't get why people can be so snitty! What the hell!? So then I had to go on and on about Deena Kastor this and Paula Radcliffe that and they all stared at me like I had 3 heads. Just then, my big punk comes over and says "They are playing volleyball and since I've seen so much of it on t.v., I totally know how to play!!" and I said, "Yes dear, television is for learning." which got even more looks. I'm officially the freak of the neighborhood.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Last night I had dinner with a woman who, in response to hearing I'm a runner, said, "Oh, like Forest Gump." Uh, yeah. Exactly like Forest Gump. I'm so with you, Renae.
I'm the Mom that LOVES tv as my babysitter! Not really, but I remember "those" type of moms who insisted that TV was the devil.
Me? If I'm tired, I'm like, "Honey, let's see what's on Nick."
Those Moms: Judgy Judys. Stay away.
Watching the marathon was the highlight of my Olympics also! I love the stories and I know the grueling pain these people are going through.. I mean, I can barely run a sub 7 mile, and they are running 26.2 sub 5 or more miles. Amazing!
We runners just recognize what a great thing is when we see one!
Post a Comment