Pages

8.25.2008

I Need a Nutritionist STAT!


This is the third weekend in a row where I've fallen short on my long run. I'm not sure what the heck is going on with me, but I am no longer using my slacking vacation as an excuse - that was weeks ago and I feel like I've been doing pretty well for a couple of weeks now. At this point, I think there is something else going on and I'm willing to bet it's my diet. I'm in serious need of some nutritional advice. I feel like I eat ok. I'm very aware of what I put in my body and I don't need to diet. However, I think I'm not eating enough of the energy providing foods that I need to be able to run for as long as I want to. During yesterday's long run, by mile 6.5, I was toast. I felt so fatigued. And it wasn't that my legs hurt or anything, I just felt tired. I walked for about 3 minutes then started back up, much slower. I had to stop again at mile 7.5 for a minute or two then finally finished at mile 8.4 just wiped out. I felt like I had run 13 miles. I can't figure it out. This exact thing has happened 3 weeks in a row now. And always, just before I have to stop, I get this really weird tingling feeling - almost like the chills - that starts in my arms and moves up to my neck then head which sometimes is followed by feeling a bit dizzy although yesterday it didn't. It's really strange. Is this a food thing? I don't think it's dehydration because I carry water with me.

I don't eat a ton of carbs....I've been anti-pasta for a long time and not because I think it's the devil, it's because I love it so much that I can't sit down and eat a reasonable amount so I decided to just stop eating it - I eat a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter every morning and usually snack on fruit (typically strawberries and blueberries and maybe a banana) mid morning. For lunch, I always (I'm in a rut here) have a Wegmans Spinach, Garlic & Pesto tortilla (200 calories and 33 carbs) with hummus, baby spinach, a couple slices of turkey, tomato and a piece of cheese. My mid afternoon snack is typically fruit again or yogurt and maybe some animal crackers (totally addicted to those empty calorie things) then dinner is usually chicken cooked in a variety of ways and some kind of veggie. I drink a lot of water during the day and nothing else (after my 3 cups of coffee in the a.m. that is!). Of course, every day could be plus some random thing or minus one of these. I throw this list out there out of pure desperation. What am I doing wrong? Is there a Nutritionist in the house?? More carbs? Less animal crackers? But seriously, I think I need more energizing fuel, I'm just not sure what to add. I certainly don't want to add a ton of carbs and gain extra pounds that are not necessary. I think I'll go google this issue and see what I come up with...other than 'eat pasta all the time'.

4 comments:

Ms. V. said...

Try some eggbeaters and spinach in a microwaved concoction to add protein.

How's your sleep?

renae said...

In the microwave? Really? Ok, I'm a bit kitchen-challenged....how does one cook eggs in the microwave?? It's a great idea though, I love eggs!

And good point about sleep - it has been a bit off kilter lately.
Thanks Ms. V!

chia said...

Since we're both princesses of the Costco variety... here are some easy things to add to your day that really helped me all found in the aisles of your friendly neighborhood Costco...

1.) Thomas light english muffins - packed with fiber and no high fructuse corn syrup. They are sold in 2 packs so I put one in the fridge and one in the freezer so they don't go bad... they toast up perfectly fine when frozen too so no need to really defrost.

2.) Kirkland's organic peanut butter - Ingredients: peanuts and salt... no unnecessary sugar or oils or other fillers to get in the way of wholesome goodness.

3.) Kirkland's instant organic oatmeal - perfect morning pick me up. Add bananas and some of that Organic PB and it's a pretty rounded snack.

4.) Egg Starts - Just as good, if not better, than Egg Beaters. These can be frozen as well so they don't go bad in the fridge. They aren't bad in the micro, but it takes just as much time to toss them around in a nonstick pan with some fresh or frozen spinach. If you choose to do the microwave option, measure 1/4 cup egg, put it in high sided bowl (they puff up), nuke for 30 seconds, stir, nuke for another 30 seconds. You may need more time on that depending on the kind and how much spinach you throw in there.

Of course, don't forget the econo-sized case of beer and you're runner diet is complete.

Happy running girlfriend!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I stumbled on your blog from marathon moms or something connected to that. I'm not a nutritionist but some advice I've heard ....1/2 hour or so before a long run try sugars, like the grape/apple varieties (quick energy). I sometimes do a gel (gag) but that does the trick if I'm planning on running an hour plus. Honestly, I think you eat great otherwise. I also heard, choc milk is awesome recovery nutrition (fat/protein/sugar).

I did my first 1/2 marathon this spring also, good luck on your second.