I started this blog to record my journey from slacker to half marathoner and then to a Boston Marathon finisher. It has evolved greatly and now, for my next adventure, it will record my journey of starting a small business and of course all of my running and kitchen adventures!
7.14.2008
I Am So Not a Marathoner
I managed to get up and out the door in time to meet my running group for Saturday's long run. According to the schedule, those of us training for a fall half-marathon were to run 8-10 miles. Those training for a marathon were doing 16. When I got there, I met a woman who as it turns out, lives in my neighborhood. We chatted for a few minutes about neighborhood things then when the run got started, ended up running together along with two other women who also live in our hood. So it was fine, trotting along at a nice pace slower than my normal one which was refreshing. Come to find out, all these women are marathoners. They were set to run 16 miles. 16! So I say, "I'll do 10 with you guys, no way am I doing 16!" After a while, one of the women says, "Aw come on, just do 12 with me!" I decide that I'm feeling pretty good so I agree to 11. But only 11 and I mean it! The talking and comfortable pace continued until I realized that I didn't turn to head back when I should of to make my run 11 miles. The marathon superwoman people start trying to talk me into 12 because after all, why turn now? When it was all said and done, 2 hours and 5 minutes later, I had run 13 miles! It was fine, I wasn't sore or anything and actually felt pretty good about covering that many miles but note to self: Don't try and hang with the pros! They kept going for their 16 when I stopped. Not only that, but they looked like they could have covered another 13 no problem! Incredible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
*tee hee* it's so cool that you have some great peeps to train with!
From the looks of your PRs, you are already a pro. Think like one and you'll become one!
You're inspiring--I think you are too a marathoner (hey, Google even says that is a word!).
Post a Comment