
Yesterday I hit the gym for some "fun!" cross training. I rowed for 25 minutes first. I actually really like the rowing machine. It works so many different muscles and you have to admit, you feel kind of bad-assy when you are on that thing and you know I'm into that. I've never done it for longer than 10 minutes though so this morning, I am feeling it, big time. It's a good pain of course, shows that those muscles in my back needed to be pushed a bit. After the rower, I jumped on the stationary bike. I've never worked out on the bike before. I typically see people at the gym reading a book or magazine while casually working the peddles and I've never thought that it looked particularly challenging. I'm of the mind set that if you can read while you are working out, you are not working hard enough.
You know how when you act all smarty-pants, you are usually proven wrong and feel like an ass? Yeah, that'd be me today. Not that I read while on the bike, I watched Sports Center (and no way is Pete Carroll going to take the Redskins job, I just don't believe he would leave his throne that is USC.....sorry, got side-tracked again...). I was going to ride for 25 minutes just like the rower but about 2 minutes into it, my legs were screaming "get. off. NOW!" What the hell!? Is it really possible that after all this running, my legs are this weak?! I know I've got to build more leg strength, that's what the cross training is all about for me, but I had no clue just how hard that bike would be for me. Am I a moron? Was I doing it wrong or does the bike really use totally different muscles than running does? I was leaning forward, then back, holding on, then not. I tried everything sure I was doing something wrong. I didn't fall off so I have to assume I was doing it at least partially right. I can tell you one thing, I wont be taking a spinning class any time soon! After 20 minutes, I got off....very carefully....and hobbled out of the gym. I called my husband, who doesn't run but loves to bike and told him I got on the stationary bike trying to work my legs and he said "Oh yeah. The bike will do that for you." Gee. Thanks for the heads up.
2 comments:
You put a massive grin on my face with this story. I'll tell you what though, hills are 100% easier when you cross train with a spinning class. Sitting on the bike just doing a program does not cut it, give a spinning class a chance if you can and I guarantee it's a lot easier than you think. Just make sure you're in one that you control the resistance - makes 100% difference.
Plus, in spinning class you're up down climbing free spinning whatever the entire time and sharing it with a room full of other tormented souls ;-). Great place to pick up a new running bud too!
Cool Blog! Happy training!
Damn. Now you have gone and made me want to try a spinning class! I bet I'm going to get a new addiction out of it!
Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment