Pages

1.18.2008

Anti Fan Gym Girl and Foggy Running Dude

Things today that have both annoyed and surprised me:

1. There is a good amount of snow/slush/ice and all around wet nasty stuff on the ground today so I decided to go to the gym again and ride the bike and row. The gym in my neighborhood totally sucks. It's really, really (really!) small and I get a horrible claustrophobic feeling anytime there is even one other person in there. Also, they keep the thermostat set at 75 degrees. Horrible. As a result, when I want to go to the gym, I go to a county rec center and pay the $5.50 daily fee to get in. That is how strongly I feel about stupid-neighborhood-"gym".

Anyway, today, I decided to brave neighborhood gym because I wasn't going to run and figured I could take the heat for my rowing and biking session. I got there and there were 3 other women working out which means it was packed and really hot. The first thing I noticed that I had never noticed before is that they have no rower. No rower! What kind of gym has no freaking rower?? There are only two bikes but they were both free so I hoped on and decided to bike for 30 minutes.

They have one small floor fan that they have on the rotating setting so every 45 seconds or so, you get a 4 second blast of cool air. Oh goody. I was biking along dying to finish when at about minute 22, a woman walks in wearing very thick looking sweat pants and a long sleeve fleece top. She immediately grabs a magazine then walks over to the fan and turns it off! Then she gets on the elliptical and starts reading! What?? So I get off the bike (which I hated to do because I don't like stopping once I'm that close to finishing) and I turn it back on. The other women that were already in there gave me the quiet 'thanks!' look as we were all dripping with sweat and I started peddling again. Then anti-fan girl, still in that damn fleece top, looks at me and all condescending and bitchy like with her Cosmo magazine and says "Oh. Were you using that?" and I say "Well, yeah, we all kind of are. It's pretty hot in here." so she says "Oh. I see. Well, I really don't like when it turns on me and I get that cold, hot, cold, hot feeling so I like to turn it off." then she gets off the elliptical and presses the little button on top that makes the fan stop rotating and says "There!" like she solved the world biggest problems. Now the other gym women and I are totally screwed because it's not reaching any of us!! Can you believe that?? I don't have the biggest back bone in the world so I let it go, finished my session and left. I'm still all types of cranky about it.

2. On my way to the grocery store after the gym, I had to drive pretty slow because it was incredibly foggy. All of a sudden, I run nearly smack into a jogger who was jogging pretty far out in the street. Now, I get why he was jogging where he was - the paths were covered with snow and ice and the plows didn't leave much room on the road for cars let alone cars and joggers but both of those are reasons why I wouldn't risk running today. Again, nothing against those of you that do, I just happen to be a bit of a chicken shit and people around here don't drive all that great when there is anything on the roads. But what I really don't get is the fact that he was doing it in the fog! I mean, it was really foggy! I was driving super slow and still nearly hit him. Does this make me less dedicated or something? I'm all for the people that are able to get their outdoor runs in no matter what the weather, but I think there is a time when maybe for safety sake, you wait it out.

3 comments:

Topher said...

That's where men and women differ. We would have just "taken it outside" over the fan.

chia said...

By "taking it outside," by chance, do you mean "dragging her by her hair out to the nearest snow bank to pummel some common sense and respect into her?" Or "running in the fog?"

I would have loved to perform the latter.

I find this really funny because I've had this fight before... There are massive industrial sized fans at one of the gyms I frequent. There is one guy in particular that loves having it blasting right on him, which is fine, but he doesn't seem to realize that the fans are positioned in a way to circulate air around the ENTIRE facility and when he takes a treadmill in the far corner and wheels the fan right up to it he's only cooling the 2 treadmills in the corner and the other 20 it WAS covering are all completely airless.

About 25 minutes into my 1 hour run he does this. Now, I'm kind of chubby and I run hot just idling, not to mention when all four cylinders are stuck at 6000 RPM's trying to keep up with my own personal hamster wheel. I stopped my treadmill and tried to beckon his attention (to which he ignored) then got up, walked over to him and explained we were ALL hot and asked nicely if he could share the fan with all of us. He grumbled something at me and continued to mount his treadmill, fan still pointing into the corner. I moved it back and barked over my shoulder "DON'T WORRY, NO ONE WILL NOTICE YOUR CHRONIC FLATULENCE WITHOUT THE FAN POINTING AT YOUR BUM."

He left and I haven't seen him since. Job done.

renae said...

haha - I should have taken it outside! Crazy woman.

Wow - there is another fan-freak out there?? Incredible. Good for you, Chia, you are a better woman than I!