Pages

12.11.2007

Not Running Makes Me Think Crazy Thoughts

Guess what I'm doing today? Yup. Just as predicted in yesterday's exciting post: kicking myself for not running yesterday when I had the opportunity. My husband left for a business trip yesterday afternoon and my 4-year-old is home with me today so a run isn't possible. I knew it wouldn't be when I made my decision to sit yesterday and I'm regretting that decision today. So. I shall wait, not patiently, until tomorrow when I drop Q off at school and get a run in then. Today would have been perfect. It's in the upper 40s, no sun but no wind either. It's cool with a bit of an off and on misty rain coming down but it would have been perfect especially since our temps are supposed to drop way down by the weekend. Ok. All done with my pity party, thanks for playing.

Today, registration began for the Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run in D.C. Am I totally crazy for thinking about doing this? It is taking place on Sunday, April 6th which is exactly 6 weeks before my 1/2 marathon. Is this a bad idea? Good idea? I'm totally new at this stuff so someone with more sense than me, please, either talk me out of this crazy idea or tell me to go for it. It sounds like a fantastic race: a flat course (which means fast according to them, haha) through D.C. and of course, the beautiful Cherry Blossoms. I would hope that by then, I'll be up to and past the 10 mile mark in my training but I'm just not sure if it would be a bad idea to take place in an actual race that close to the 1/2 marathon. Clearly I have no idea what I'm doing other than adding a mile onto my runs every other week. Hmmm...perhaps a trip to the book store is in order.

Update: I just looked at the website again and the 5k is already closed and the 10-mile race is closed online with only mail-in registration open. They are probably going to sell out so now I have to go to coin-flip mode. Crap.

2 comments:

Kristina said...

I'm no expert, but I think it would be perfect timing for your half-marathon. You'll be well past the 10-mile point by then, I suspect, but I am a strong advocate of inserting a "light" mileage week somewhere before a long race to give your body a rest and get you excited for more. Besides, I've heard the cherry blossom scene is gorgeous and a flat course is always great.

J said...

I think it would be great timing. A tune-up race. I hope it's not too late for you to make your decision!